Showing and disease management

I was so afraid of mareks finding me. So afraid. But my understanding is most everyone has it whether they're aware or not. It's everywhere, the ground, the soil- the birds that fly around between your coop and your neighbor's house, who cover miles in a day and stop to steal chicken food, leaving marek's behind.

It seems to me it is a fact of life. Many birds live long lives and never show a symptom. Few die, and a lot of them are blamed on other things.

Don't take ill chickens to shows. Practice ethics and hopefully others will too. Quarantine when you get back if you do that sort of thing, treat for bugs. Use care but don't let fear of a disease which is EVERYWHERE ruin your enjoyment of your birds. You can get mareks at a feed store, at wal-mart, or at the pharmacy off somebody's clothing or shoes. Everyone has it. No one knows or believes they do, but it lives in flocks across the country hidden.

Oh I definitely agree. I had a bird get sick this year. I thought for sure it was probably Mareks, but the necropsy came back negative. Before that, I really wasn't as worried about it. I was reading a forum somewhere about a guy with a breeding flock and it had Mareks, but he pretty much just culled and didn't worry about it. That's what got me thinking some as there is no test before death that I know of, especially like the NPIP tests. With these diseases so prevalent and easily communicable I guess I am just wondering about the steps people take to keep their showbirds healthy. The consensus seems to be keeping things as clean as possible and quarantine and to quit stressing. ;) it seems that if a wild bird can ruin certification (MG, MS, etc.) than anything can. I assume those that go the extra to have MG/MS free certifications usually don't show? I read where some people on here found out their birds were carriers and never had a sniffle!

I have just heard that most flocks have been exposed to one strain or the other. Basically that it's widely spread. It seems that any disease that can be carried by wild birds or the wind is a concern and there are a lot of backyard flocks here in the valley. I guess we just have to keep the ladies as healthy as can be! I am so paranoid about the girls. I check them all the time! Lol. My daughter thinks I am crazy. :p

Then why are you willing to risk showing them?

Good luck

Gary

If what I am reading is correct, aren't you risking it just having them? Or going to a feed store? I assume most people don't keep their chickens in a completely sterile environment behind lock and key? The reason I wanted to show is to work on understanding the breed standards better. Showing to me gives an in person unprejudiced critique of your birds so that you can move forward with selective breeding. My curiosity is the measures breeders take in order to not only breed the best birds possible, increase their marketability, and keep them and others safe. Is that an unreasonable question? I am not trying to be unreasonable if that is the case, I just figured there is a lot of people that show on here that could give some insight into the measures they take to ethically show their birds.

If what I am reading is correct, aren't you risking it just having them? Or going to a feed store? I assume most people don't keep their chickens in a completely sterile environment behind lock and key? The reason I wanted to show is to work on understanding the breed standards better. Showing to me gives an in person unprejudiced critique of your birds so that you can move forward with selective breeding. My curiosity is the measures breeders take in order to not only breed the best birds possible, increase their marketability, and keep them and others safe. Is that an unreasonable question? I am not trying to be unreasonable if that is the case, I just figured there is a lot of people that show on here that could give some insight into the measures they take to ethically show their birds.

Obviously the risk goes up when you expose your birds to other birds, then bring them back and expose your flock. You cannot depend on people to be ethical, if only we could. Its your flock, your risk.

Good luck

Gary

I realize. There is always risk, even in our own lives in the human race. I also am aware that we can't trust others to be ethical, unfortunately. I wish we could. I was hoping to find people who show and see what their steps were to keep their birds as safe as possible considering higher risk. That's all. i guess in the end it's just a stupid question overall.

Back
Top Bottom