Showing basics questions... where, how, resources?

CluckCluckMomma

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2016
I've been a backyard flock owner for some time, but would like to get into showing for the fun of the hobby. My chickens are all from a hatchery so I doubt they are show girls, but I am not sure.

1. How can I tell? I saw how pricy the SOP was on the APA website and also the ABA website too. Wanted opinions before purchasing. Other resources?

2. If I want to start another small show flock, where would I start? I'm assuming to go through breeders rather than hatcheries. I'm mainly interested in bantams if I start a new show flock.

2. Best bantam breeds for a newbie to poultry shows? My climate is southern Md/VA state line.

3. Is there a so called poultry show "bible" or a resource that would cover most of these things?

Thank you! My current flock is made up of buff orps, barred rocks, light brahmas, a golden laced wyandotte and an EE. I'm thinking it would be easier to travel with and manage bantams for showing (I also just think they're adorable!) My kids are dying to have a silkie and name it fluffy..... how unoriginal.....

Start here: http://www.poultryshowcentral.com

There you will find all kind of resources. As you scroll down, you find a beginners learning section. Enough reading for a week. In the center, you find multiple ways to get to listings of shows near you. Search by month, by state, etc.

Attend. Go to a larger show and find out what this hobby is all about. Spending a day (usually Saturday) at a poultry show will open your eyes and understanding to a whole new universe, a parallel universe that most folks know nothing about. Buy the movie or pay a "rental fee" and watch this year's hit movie, "Chicken People". Another quirky insight into the hobby.

Then, if after all this is done, the reading, the attendance at a show, watching the movie, etc, you still want to follow through on this hobby, you will need to choose a breed, choose a breeder, find a mentor (not optional). You need a flight instructor to learn how to fly for a reason.

If folks balk at the $59 price for a Standard, it is rather tell-tale, (being brutally honest here) that the depth on a student's commitment is not very deep. Wait till you find out how much high quality starter birds cost and how much infrastructure it takes and how much equipment, feed and labor it takes to grow out 100 chicks in the hopes of finding one or two worthy to enter in an exhibition.

Finally, I've been breeding birds for a long, long time and embraced exhibition as a serious hobby a few years back. There's no more enjoyable place to be then at a chicken show.
smile.png

Last edited:
My best advice is don't start with cheap birds. I've spent $42 a piece and $145 for 2 birds at times.

Just see what you like. I didn't think I'd ever be breeding LF cochins but I do now.

I was hoping to get the SOP for Christmas but didn't, but from what I've asked about and heard its a must have for breeding.

For the birds do some research look for local breeders with good birds.

Ivy Young from North Carolina has some of the most beautiful Cochin bantams. I would definitely recommend her for birds. She doesn't sell often though

Start here:  http://www.poultryshowcentral.com

There you will find all kind of resources.  As you scroll down,  you find a beginners learning section.  Enough reading for a week.  In the center, you find multiple ways to get to listings of shows near you.  Search by month, by state, etc.

Attend.  Go to a larger show and find out what this hobby is all about.  Spending a day (usually Saturday) at a  poultry show will open your eyes and understanding to a whole new universe, a parallel universe that most folks know nothing about.   Buy the movie or pay a "rental fee" and watch this year's hit movie, "Chicken People".  Another quirky insight into the hobby.

Then, if after all this is done, the reading, the attendance at a show, watching the movie, etc, you still want to follow through on this hobby, you will need to choose a breed, choose a breeder, find a mentor (not optional).  You need a flight instructor to learn how to fly for a reason.

If folks balk at the $59 price for a Standard, it is rather tell-tale, (being brutally honest here) that the depth on a student's commitment is not very deep.  Wait till you find out how much high quality starter birds cost and how much infrastructure it takes and how much equipment, feed and labor it takes to grow out 100 chicks in the hopes of finding one or two worthy to enter in an exhibition. 

Finally, I've been breeding birds for a long, long time and embraced exhibition as a serious hobby a few years back.  There's no more enjoyable place to be then at a chicken show. :)  

Thank you so much for all of the information! I'll get to work reading and I just ordered the SOP. Just wanted to be sure it was really essential. Sounds like it will be important and worth having. I appreciate the help and suggestions!

My best advice is don't start with cheap birds. I've spent $42 a piece and $145 for 2 birds at times.

Just see what you like. I didn't think I'd ever be breeding LF cochins but I do now.

I was hoping to get the SOP for Christmas but didn't, but from what I've asked about and heard its a must have for breeding.

For the birds do some research look for local breeders with good birds.

Ivy Young from North Carolina has some of the most beautiful Cochin bantams. I would definitely recommend her for birds. She doesn't sell often though

Thanks so much! Just ordered SOP and am reading up all that I can!

Back
Top Bottom