SegiDream

Songster
Apr 23, 2020
Southeast TN
Not sure where to start, I have a lot of crazy questions sorry!

My 12yo has been a big help with the chickens and loves her little wyandotte pullet. She expressed an interest in showing. I have been to the county fair many times and have seen the chickens there but I've never participated (it's also youth only) so I don't know where to start. There's a form for registration and it gives some details but doesn't really explain much. I thought this year if they don't cancel it we could at least go and check it out, see what the setup is like, ask questions, and possibly try it next year or the following. It's a decent size fair but I think the poultry show is kinda small.

Our flock is brahmas and a columbian wyandotte pullet, most came from TSC so I don't think her wyandotte would stand a chance. The last two are buff laced brahmas from a breeder. They're 5 wks old and already stand taller than my 8wk old TSC brahmas. The cockerel has a single comb and the pullet has a pea comb, an rrpp rooster matched with a rrPp hen offspring has a.. 50% chance for pea combs? And a 75% chance for pea combs if the hen is rrPP?

I know light, dark and buff are the 3 standard colors. Will the lacing disqualify the buffs from showing?
Then here's the next question. Can you typically buy show quality birds from the breeders at/after the shows? What kind of pricing could we expect to see?

"All poultry entries must be accompanied by health papers issued by a licensed veterinarian indicating a negative blood agglutination test for Pullorum Disease within the last ninety days and/or the birds are to be tested" Is it best to have a vet do this or wait and do it at the fair? I do not know if my chicks were vaccinated. So I should vaccinate the next generation of chicks at least for mareks and quarantine them after showing for the safety of the flock? I'd rather not vaccinate if we don't have to but with exposure to so many birds it seems best? The birds have to be there approximately 3 days. It just gives a drop off and pick up day, no schedule. Usually can you come and go to care for and check on them?

The buff laced brahmas will show as that variety, not buff, but will be a non-recognized variety and will not be able to place higher than best of variety within their class. Birds purchased from TSC or a hatchery will not be able to compete in an APA/ABA sanctioned show as they will not be of sufficient quality. There are many reputable breeders of brahmas and most will sell birds in the fall at shows they attend. There is an excellent show in Knoxville each year, the second weekend in December, where there will be excellent examples of the brahma breed and possibly some birds for sale. I recommend visiting a show or two and getting to know what exhibition brahmas look like and getting to know some breeders. Depending on where in Tennessee you are the Ohio National in Columbus may not be too far and is a large show with the best sales area of any show in the nation. There you'll see possibly 100 or more brahmas in large fowl and several hundred in bantams.
I recommend participation in the NPIP program, this will require testing once per year but your birds are certified for a year and do not need to be retested every 90 days. Each state administers the program differently, here in Oklahoma individuals can be certified as testers as I am and can test their own flocks as well as others. You'll need to contact your state department of agriculture and find out how they administer the program in your state.

Blessings,

Bo

The buff laced brahmas will show as that variety, not buff, but will be a non-recognized variety and will not be able to place higher than best of variety within their class. Birds purchased from TSC or a hatchery will not be able to compete in an APA/ABA sanctioned show as they will not be of sufficient quality. There are many reputable breeders of brahmas and most will sell birds in the fall at shows they attend. There is an excellent show in Knoxville each year, the second weekend in December, where there will be excellent examples of the brahma breed and possibly some birds for sale. I recommend visiting a show or two and getting to know what exhibition brahmas look like and getting to know some breeders. Depending on where in Tennessee you are the Ohio National in Columbus may not be too far and is a large show with the best sales area of any show in the nation. There you'll see possibly 100 or more brahmas in large fowl and several hundred in bantams.
I recommend participation in the NPIP program, this will require testing once per year but your birds are certified for a year and do not need to be retested every 90 days. Each state administers the program differently, here in Oklahoma individuals can be certified as testers as I am and can test their own flocks as well as others. You'll need to contact your state department of agriculture and find out how they administer the program in your state.

Blessings,

Bo

Thank you very much for pointing me in those directions! I found a Knoxville show scheduled around that time period says "cancelled for 2020" and looks like maybe it was moved to Jan 2021. There are far more poultry shows around here than I ever guessed wow! I definitely want to see what show brahmas look like and I know my daughter would love to see the shows as well. I found and saved the contact info for the state NPIP. Probably not a bad idea to find out what's required if I want to import any birds from out of state O_O Columbus Ohio is quite a drive, would have to be an overnight trip but sounds like it could be worth it.

The breeder of the buff laced claims they are from Dan Powell lines, non-hatchery. But that single comb makes me wonder and they're not on the NPIP list. I might have to do more chicken math but for now we'll start with the shows see what it's like and what they have to offer. :D

Back
Top Bottom