Showing Chickens for the first time!

Silkiehen

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
I will be showing chickens for the first time! I do show sheep and goats. I am used to everything that comes with showing sheep and goats, but not chickens. What can I expect? What supplies do I need to bring with me? Give me any tips you have, I greatly appreciate it! Also f o the bring chickens into the ring like they do sheep? No one around us shows chickens, so I'm stuck there. Any help would be appreciated!
[/IMG]

I will be showing chickens for the first time! I do show sheep and goats. I am used to everything that comes with showing sheep and goats, but not chickens. What can I expect? What supplies do I need to bring with me? Give me any tips you have, I greatly appreciate it! Also f o the bring chickens into the ring like they do sheep? No one around us shows chickens, so I'm stuck there. Any help would be appreciated!
[/URL]
What kind of chickens will you be showing?

We haven't ever shown Silkies, but i'm sure its a lot like showing every other breed. You preparation is mostly done before you get there. Your bird is placed in a cage for the judge to stop and take your bird out and look it over to compare it to the other birds. I would suggest bathing your bird a couple of days before the show with a clear dish washing soap. It doesn't take much. Use warm water, then let them dry in a warm area. In the summer time we use fans to help them dry faster, but i would keep in mind the temperature and not let your birds get too cold. We trim nails and clean their legs. you might place a little baby oil or moisturizer on their legs once they are clean. If you bath them too close to show time they wont have time to dry off.

We haven't ever shown Silkies, but i'm sure its a lot like showing every other breed. You preparation is mostly done before you get there. Your bird is placed in a cage for the judge to stop and take your bird out and look it over to compare it to the other birds. I would suggest bathing your bird a couple of days before the show with a clear dish washing soap. It doesn't take much. Use warm water, then let them dry in a warm area. In the summer time we use fans to help them dry faster, but i would keep in mind the temperature and not let your birds get too cold. We trim nails and clean their legs. you might place a little baby oil or moisturizer on their legs once they are clean. If you bath them too close to show time they wont have time to dry off.

What kind of chickens will you be showing?
If I may suggest, go to a show and get a feel for how its done. You can ask questions to the exhibitors and you will find that most chicken people are happy to answer your questions. LoL!!!

If I may suggest, go to a show and get a feel for how its done. You can ask questions to the exhibitors and you will find that most chicken people are happy to answer your questions. LoL!!!
Ok, thank you!

Last edited:
Awesome, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom