Showing Chickens

Prince and Pavo

Songster
Apr 4, 2023
Hello!

I absolutely love my chickens, and I am thinking about possibly showing them. However, I don’t know how to get into that or what “showing” includes and entitles, so I thought I would create a thread to see what everyone has to say, and to get any advice or experiences anyone would like to share.

How exactly does showing chickens work?
-How can I enter a competition or show?
-How do I choose the chicken I want to show? (i.e. rooster, hen, cockerel, or pullet? Overall physical/appearance standards? Specific breed standards? Genetic standards? Etc.)
-How do I raise it differently from normal chickens? (Feed, maintenance, care, etc.)
-What else do I need to know to show a chicken?

Sorry if some or all of these questions are dumb, I really don’t know anything about doing this, but I have friends who show rabbits and goats, but showing chickens sounds interesting to me so I thought I would ask. I would appreciate any kind of advice, tips, notes, knowledge, experiences, or anything else like that LOL

-How can I enter a competition or show?
I’m guessing you mean an APA show.
First of all, go to Poultry Show Central. https://www.poultryshowcentral.com/State.html
Choose the state you want to show in, then choose the show you want. They are different dates and places.
Find out the requirements for showing in your state. For example, at Coullee, where I will show in June: “ALL ENTRIES must be accompanied by a valid negative pullorum/typhoid test certificate administered within 90 days of show, N.P.I.P. cer􏰀ficate, or Wisconsin Certified/Associate Flock certificate. A Premises ID# is required for Wisconsin residents. All entries must have been owned by the exhibitor for a minimum of 30 days.”
Email the show staff at a show you want to go to to learn how to fill your special requirements.
Do that immediately. A blood test lasts a whole year, so if you can do it as quickly as possible, that’s better.
2-3 months before the show, the show catalog comes out.
Read through the catalog, decide what you want. Print out the entry sheet and fill out your entries. Write a check for entry fees and put in the necessary paperwork. Then mail your entries. Before the deadlines!
-How do I choose the chicken I want to show? (i.e. rooster, hen, cockerel, or pullet? Overall physical/appearance standards? Specific breed standards? Genetic standards? Etc.)
First, buy some show quality birds from a reputable breeder. (Choose whichever breed you want, don’t worry, they’re not too expensive.)
The American Standard of Perfection is the standard by which all poultry are judged. Purchase a copy (actually, the 44th edition is currently out of print as they are going to print a new one soon, so you could buy an older edition or wait.)
Or you can rent one from the library for the time being to get a grasp and evaluate your birds, but it is a temporary solution, since it’s good to always have your trusty Standard on hand.
-How do I raise it differently from normal chickens? (Feed, maintenance, care, etc.)
Some breeds require extra care and maintenance. Much larger breeds need more space and feed and they need higher protein feed. Bantams need less. Feather footed breeds need special housing and it always must be clean. Certain colors like blue, buff, and chocolate fade in the sun, so raising them out of direct sunlight can help.
All birds need to be washed before a show. I wonder if there is an article so I don’t have to write out the details.
-What else do I need to know to show a chicken?
Find other breeders and exhibitors, of your specific breed and in general. They can really help you get started. Plus, all of this sounds scary, but I’m sure they would love to help you with the technical bits, like acquiring your first birds, getting birds tested, filling out entry forms.
Also, joining the American Poultry Association and breed clubs is great. You get membership benefits like newsletters, yearbooks, ect.

Back
Top Bottom