Showing ducks

rockyspringsfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 25, 2009
Huntington, Texas
I would very much appreciate some advise from any duck showman who might be willing to share their experiences in preparing ducks for exhibition....

Such as: Do you use a special feeding program and if so, what type of feed and for how long before the show ?

What is the best type of transport for ducks (mine are Welsh Harlequins) ?

I know that if clean water is provided for them daily prior to the show they will basically clean and groom themselves but are there any particular things that need to be done with them in this area ?

I know nothing about showing ducks but have successfully shown horses and goats for many years. I do understand presentation of livestock just not how to present my ducks.

Any advise or instruction will be deeply appreciated. Thank you.

pop.gif

caf.gif

Waiting with you ...

I have Swedish Ducks so trying to keep that bib white is a task in its self LOL. I let them condititon themselves for about 2 weeks before the show. The night before the show I will bring the two I show alot into the garage and they will just be in a XL pet taxi with extra deep bedding overnight. I'll give them food and water then. The morning of the show I take some baby wipes and give them a good wipe down especially in white areas. I brush their bills and feet with a toothbrush and put just a dab of vaseline on the bill and some on the feet. . That is basically how I do it. They won't get food until after they are judged other wise they will make a mess of themselves. Like I said I just transport my two in an XL pet taxi with extra deep bedding. I think that is it and I covered it all.

Greencastle_ducks gave good advice, throughout the show i usually but a small plastic tub in with them for a few minutes at a time so they can preen (keep those feathers shinney
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your replies. Let me ask this.....if you have to check in on Friday....show on Saturday....release on Sunday....What do you do about feeding and water for them......use the cage cups and feed as you would at home on Friday ? Then not feed on show day until after the judging......as Greencastle said, so they don't make a mess of themselves....but keep water available ? I like the idea of the pan of water for preening. I am really ignorant here so please excuse any question that bears that out !

I was already thinking that the pet taxis might be the best for transporting them. There's a small show coming up about 3 hours from me in a week or so.....I thought I would go observe how things were done. We just don't have many shows close to our area.

I appreciate the advice.

If the check in is on Friday I'm assuming maybe in the afternoon....give some food to them then take it out that night or early Saturday and then don't give it back until judging and awards are over and then after that you can give them some food again. I keep water in there as long as possible and when I see the judge is appoarching my aisle I take it out....I don't want them getting the judge wet! I keep little cups in there but I don't keep the preening pan in there during judging. that's basically it. I've shown horses and goats and ducks isn't nearly as hard as it seems LOL

I usually keep feeding them the same thing. You could add some black oil sunflower seeds in for shiny plumage. I just take their food away the morning of the show. I also let them swim in clean water the night before and scrub their feet, legs, and bill with a toothbrush and soapy water too. You just want all their feathers in place. The day of the show I put a little vaseline on their legs, feet, and bill, just a tiny bit to make them stand out a bit. I showed for 4-H this year and ended up getting 3rd in senior showmanship only because they started asking tiebreakers dealing with chickens, when I was taking a duck
roll.png

A little of topic but...
I was in 4-H for years and they always did things like that. For instance, you show dairy goats and the start asking you questions about Boers, meat cuts, etc. I don't know the answer! I raise dairies! That's always so frustrating. In your case it wasn't even the same species!

I haven't shown ducks but Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says to get them used to being in a cage (if they aren't) and having people walking by. Also to pluck any broken feathers 6 to 8 weeks prior to the show so they have time to grow back. Toenails clipped. Also says to be careful not to get the baby oil or vaseline (for their feet) on feathers. They talk about "conditioning" 6 to 12 weeks prior to the show (feeds specific to the breed).

I used to show other animals, horses, rabbits, etc. but not ducks yet.

There was a link somewhere in this forum to the Storey's book. Prolly if you do a search it will come up. Good luck!

I sure appreciate everyone taking the time to pass along experiences.

Chikky, I have (or should say had) that Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. Unfortunately I have put it down somewhere and cannot for the life of me find it.....I ordered it because David Holderread authored it. There was great information in it but it's sure not doing me a bit of good since I can not find it !!! I sure hated to order another one but looks like I'm going to have to do just that ! So, that's why I decided to ask the group for advice....you just can't beat what works for folks....especially if they are involved in what you need to know.

Thanks again everybody.

Back
Top Bottom