"Shrink wrap" vs. "Sticky chick"?

Question if you don't mind. Mine are hatching now. One hatch at day 19. Luckily, it was a big, healthy chick. However, by last night, day 21, he had to come out! Because of this, I had to open the incubator. Humidity on both dials has nit dropped below 62. I have 6 that still have not hatched, one pipped a very small hole about 14 hours ago. Nothing since. I'm paranoid now that because of having to get the first chick out that I caused a problem. The only other second long opening wad to add another wet towel when humidity dropped. thanks!

There is no way to know if you caused a problem or not. That chick may not have hatched anyway or it may yet hatch. You do what you feel you have to do.

The reason I am posting is to show you what I do to add water to the incubator without opening it for your future reference. I got the syringe at Tractor Supply and use the accordion straws to make the thing that goes in through a vent hole. With a bit of effort you can reach about anywhere in most table top incubators.

Last edited:
I actually have seen that and have a similar set up. I have mine set on a Venoset line so I have on off control. Even with my channels full, I couldn't get it high enough. The paper towels work great, but have to be refreshed daily. Thanks so much! I love learning!
you

Last edited:
I have hunted everywhere and can not find my particular situation. I'm so sorry if this was answered in this thread. I think my head is going to explode from so much reading!

Here's my problem: SHIPPED EGGS!

I incubate at 30 and then 60. The last 2 hatches I used paper cartons with cut out bottoms because of severely detached air cells. I tilt 2-3 X per day. My eggs laying in the bator do fine, but the cartoned eggs have the same problem. Bright yellow super glue yolky gunk. The chicks pip and then get dry and cemented in. Every chick that hatched had to be bathed. Only 2 from the 12 or so hatched on their own. I have never had problems like this. Not before shipped eggs that is! I now have eggs in wire holders. The last batch, I realised when the first hatched with this issue I ran and got them out of the paper cartons and tilted them against the walls of the bator. Those chicks weren't as bad. A couple have failed and upon eggtopsy, they were surrounded by this neon yellow yolky gunk. It also appeared they were not evaporating at the bottom of the egg? I have a good friend that also uses the paper carton (we both quite though) and had the same problem.

Do you think this batch with the wire holders will be the same way?
Can someone please shed some light on this? I always toss in a couple of my eggs, layed flat, with all my shipped egg batches and they are always fine. I started doing the vertical setup because the detached cells lead to almost 100% mortality from cells healing on the side of eggs, ect.

TIA!!!!!

the chicks were stuck in their egg ones membrane was half openeing but rock stiff solid and another was sticky like glue i tried to help them by cracking the top part of and they did the rest one is sticky and the other is kinda like that today do to temps outside the eggs humidity went up and down like crazy temp did so aswell i dont think anymore will hatch. What should i do with the sticky chick and what shoud i do about the other one.

I have a sticky chick that was born this evening at 6pm. How long should I wait before bathing under the running lukewarm water?

I have a sticky chick that was born this evening at 6pm. How long should I wait before bathing under the running lukewarm water?
The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be to loosen any of the hardened materials. Be patient and gentle, and use only water as close to 99 as you can. A baby toothbrush can be used for a comb, and baby shampoo, applied by the drop, may help loosen the mess.

Then get that poor baby back in the hatcher as fast as you can for another dry cycle.

Last edited:
the chicks were stuck in their egg ones membrane was half openeing but rock stiff solid and another was sticky like glue i tried to help them by cracking the top part of and they did the rest one is sticky and the other is kinda like that today do to temps outside the eggs humidity went up and down like crazy temp did so aswell i dont think anymore will hatch. What should i do with the sticky chick and what shoud i do about the other one.
See the post below, they need a very gentle bath.

Just curious since I don't ever have broody hens. Has anyone ever kept track of the humidity and temp under a broody hen for 21 days? I'm curious as to what it would be on average. I'd like to find out and then do a test run in my incubator with the same settings and see how the hatch turns out.

Back
Top Bottom