Sick 1.5 year old hen help—what to do next?

You're actually not Supplementing the feed with all those extras, you're taking proper nutrition away from the feed. Since they fill up on the treats first and don't eat the nutritious feed.
Dosage is important with medicine, the pelleted version will not give your birds the proper dose, you need to get the liquid formulation and dose accordingly directly with syringe or bread ball
Sorry I should have specified! Their main food is normal layer feed, the treats are once a day in the evening after I get home from work! Bread ball is a great idea, is there a dewormer you recommend? The pellets were all my local store had and I couldn’t get to the farmer’s union an hour away before it closed.

Sorry I should have specified! Their main food is normal layer feed, the treats are once a day in the evening after I get home from work! Bread ball is a great idea, is there a dewormer you recommend? The pellets were all my local store had and I couldn’t get to the farmer’s union an hour away before it closed.
Where are you in the world? Some drugs are available in certain places

Her crop is smaller but feels normal/not squishy though not as hard as before she got sick. I just started the flock on a dewormer mixed in with their layer feed

They eat layer feed supplemented with mealworms, cracked corn, mixed vegetable scraps and occasional leftover meat. I’m using the SafeGuard 0.5 Fenbendazole sold at Tractor Supply, it’s in pellet form and I crushed it up to mix with their layer feed in an approximate 0.25g for 5lbs of feed.
Is her crop emptying overnight or not? Check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's not empty, then address that Symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I may have missed it, when was her last egg?

You sure that's the Correct amount of Safeguard Pellets to give?
The pellets are hard to dose to be honest. I would go get a bottle of Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer at TSC and dose each bird individually by weight, this will ensure each bird is getting the correct amount of dewormer.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

My lead hen who was sick a few months ago is acting odd again; I treated the flock with corid and VetRx back in September but for the past few weeks Salt has been slower, eating less, and while she can walk normally has lost her balance and fallen when we put her down from being held and when she tries to jump up on their perch at night. She still pecks the chickens who bother her and has most of her personality still but it quieter and makes a chirping sound when she’s trying to sleep and other chickens touch her. Her comb is darker than normal (maroon as opposed to bright red). I isolated her in September for treatment but being back with the flock seems to make her happier and none of the other chickens have shown any symptoms so she is currently with everyone else.

She seems much sleepier and lost a lot of weight but recently has been more willing to eat whereas before she wasn’t. Her crop is smaller but feels normal/not squishy though not as hard as before she got sick. I just started the flock on a dewormer mixed in with their layer feed but I’m unsure if it will help as I could not see worms in their poop. Any advice is much appreciated! I am in New England in the USA. View attachment 3714705
Updating as of today, I’ve given her a warm water soak and fed her water and raw egg, she’s been eating a lot of the egg but the soak made me realize how much weight she’s lost. She is also currently isolated from the flock. Her poop after the bath has been clear and white gooey liquid; yesterday it was solid-ish.

Is her crop emptying overnight or not? Check the crop first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink. If it's not empty, then address that Symptom. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

The pellets are hard to dose to be honest. I would go get a bottle of Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer at TSC and dose each bird individually by weight, this will ensure each bird is getting the correct amount of dewormer.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.
I will check her crop tomorrow morning! I do not know the last time she laid an egg; it’s winter here and I don’t provide supplemental light.

That amount corresponds with the growing Turkey quantity (slightly smaller) since there was no dose for chickens listed. I’ll try and get the goat dewormer!

I felt her crop this morning and it appeared normal (very small). I gave her electrolyte water and raw egg this morning and just bought the SafeGuard goat dewormer and some Kickin Chicken supplements!

Back
Top Bottom