Sick 3 Day Old Chick

Qbeachy

Hatching
Apr 7, 2023
Hi All,

I am on my first round of hatching baby chicks. I had 13 babies hatch. 4 have passed and I have one that has been fighting. I separated this one from my 8 remaining. We are on day 2 of being sick. It isn't drinking or eating. It is very skinny and barely hanging on. I am trying to give it a mix of sugar water and egg yolk (mixed with a little water to make it more runny) every 30 minutes. I am also giving a drop of nutri drench every couple hours.

It is pooping (mix of white/yellow) seems to be crusted in the butt sometimes...sometimes is black/brown.

Is there anything more I can do? Should I think about antibiotics at this point? It's been fighting and I can't give up on it.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I am on my first round of hatching baby chicks. I had 13 babies hatch. 4 have passed and I have one that has been fighting. I separated this one from my 8 remaining. We are on day 2 of being sick. It isn't drinking or eating. It is very skinny and barely hanging on. I am trying to give it a mix of sugar water and egg yolk (mixed with a little water to make it more runny) every 30 minutes. I am also giving a drop of nutri drench every couple hours.

It is pooping (mix of white/yellow) seems to be crusted in the butt sometimes...sometimes is black/brown.

Is there anything more I can do? Should I think about antibiotics at this point? It's been fighting and I can't give up on it.

Thanks!
What kind of set up do you have what are you feeding them and giving them to drink? If multiple birds are dying something is wrong.

Is it too hot? Are you using an heat lamp or a brooder plate? Are you giving them too much electrolytes? Is their food medicated? Are they too cold? Are you allowing them to be exposed to any aerosales or strong chemicals including Teflon pans?

Back
Top Bottom