Sick 3 Day Old Chick

GalaxyChicken

Chirping
Apr 20, 2023
Florida
This is my second batch of chicks, for the first few days they were fine, but now one of the chicks is acting really lethargic, we gave her some honey-water and that helped. What else should I do?

Try giving it some electrolyte water. And make sure that it always has access to water, food, and the heat lamp. If it's not feeling as good as the others and is slower, then it has a better chance of being trampled. You could try moving it to a separate container so you can watch it better and it can rest undisturbed.

Try giving it some electrolyte water. And make sure that it always has access to water, food, and the heat lamp. If it's not feeling as good as the others and is slower, then it has a better chance of being trampled. You could try moving it to a separate container so you can watch it better and it can rest undisturbed.
Despite being the sick one, she seems to be the most dominant, so nobody is trampling her, I also noticed she keeps repeatedly getting a pasted vent, how do I prevent that?

Despite being the sick one, she seems to be the most dominant, so nobody is trampling her, I also noticed she keeps repeatedly getting a pasted vent, how do I prevent that?
Take some water on your fingers and
There really isn't much you can do to prevent it. Pasty butt can sometime be a cause of stress, such as being shipped and settling into a new home. Just keep on the lookout for it and treat it asap. Hope he gets better!

Woops! I was starting to say, take some lukewarm water on your fingers then wet just the poop to soften it up and it should come off fairly easy then.

Update, she passed away in my hands, it wasn't from Pasty Butt, I think it was failure to thrive, I wish there had been something I could have done.

Update, she passed away in my hands, it wasn't from Pasty Butt, I think it was failure to thrive, I wish there had been something I could have done.
I'm sorry! That's really too bad! I'm glad you were able to do what you could for her though!

Back
Top Bottom