Sick 7 month old hen - egg bound?

Sophijo97

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2020
Hi,

I have a seventh month old grey Australorp hen who has been acting ill. I have checked the other threads but none of the other posts seem to perfectly match symptom wise.

Very lethargic compared to usual behavior, has not laid an egg in 2-3 days, is fluffed up and almost paralyzed not moving and just standing in the corners of the run almost falling asleep standing up. She will occasionally go into a nesting box or sit on the ground outside as if in a nesting box.

We are in Colorado and maybe this is broodiness or the change in weather or daylight savings time but does anyone recognize these symptoms as something treatable? She has been eating, drinking and pooping. her vent is clean. Attaching photos of Ill chicken.

thanks

Attachments

• 2C0EF189-14D5-4166-83CE-DD48F0AC8E55.jpeg
    2C0EF189-14D5-4166-83CE-DD48F0AC8E55.jpeg
    835.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 41C2D783-D797-4BE1-841D-5D48106296B8.jpeg
    41C2D783-D797-4BE1-841D-5D48106296B8.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 10
I would bring her in to observe her more closely. You say she is eating a drinking, but how much? Can you check her crop to see if it is empty or full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Then check it first thing in the morning to see if it empties overnight. It looks a bit full now, but it may be the picture. What do her droppings look like? Pictures are welcome. Look her over for lice and mites on her skin. If she seems to be cold, try to get her warm. Broodies usually stay sitting in the nest box day and night. They will pluck out their chest feathers to sit on eggs.

I would bring her in to observe her more closely. You say she is eating a drinking, but how much? Can you check her crop to see if it is empty or full, hard, doughy, or puffy? Then check it first thing in the morning to see if it empties overnight. It looks a bit full now, but it may be the picture. What do her droppings look like? Pictures are welcome. Look her over for lice and mites on her skin. If she seems to be cold, try to get her warm. Broodies usually stay sitting in the nest box day and night. They will pluck out their chest feathers to sit on eggs.
Thank you.

Thank you! Crop seems very full and puffy, what does this usually mean? Not cold and no signs of bugs. I am attaching a picture of her poop. After bringing her indoors for the night and she ate normally, plus I fed her vitamin water and yogurt-she seemed a little better. I’m now thinking she must have something in her crop.

Attachments

• 477DE215-14CB-4C83-8996-B86704FAF2E8.jpeg
    477DE215-14CB-4C83-8996-B86704FAF2E8.jpeg
    844.2 KB · Views: 6
Is she pooping normal poops or just the liquid. I would feel inside her vent to make sure there's no egg.
If her crop is full and puffy, I would provide water to drink, but it would be a good idea to withhold food for the day.
Here's some good info about crop issues.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
There is a little bit of solid, but poop is mostly liquid and not normal. I have checked the vent for an egg and did not find one. Thank you for your help!

We took her to the vet and got some antibiotics, she doesn’t seemed cured quite yet on two days of antibiotics and the vet did not think she had an impacted or sour crop. She eats a little and drinks a lot of water, still green poops but a little more solid than before.

What is the name of the antibiotic? Is her crop emptying overnight by early morning vefore she eats or drinks? Did the vet check her droppings for worms or coccidiosis?

The antibiotic is Biomox (amoxicillin). She did not have a large enough poop sample to test, but if she does we will bring it to the vet. I checked her crop this morning and it was empty. The rest of our flock has shown none of the same symptoms, and she is definitely not the smallest of the group.

Is she walking around normally if you pick her up and move her? Or is she running back to the nest box? Does her breath smell sour or bad?

Back
Top Bottom