Sick Baby Boy

chilman

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2011
My little boy is sick and I’m not sure what’s going on.

1. looks like a few of my girls have been picking on him. The top part of one foot is swollen and it looks like his foot has bled in spots. I applied peroxide to confirm dried blood spots. It looks like the scales on his foot are missing as well. He will not apply pressure/stand on that foot. He does not have bumble foot. I have soaked his foot in epsom salt.
2. Looks like his 2 girls have pecked at his head. Missing feathers and dried blood in that area as well.
3. One eye is partially closed, not swollen. His upper eyelid was crusty and slightly matted. I cleaned his eye and applied terramycin
4. His nostrils were nearly closed. I don’t know if they were clogged with dried food or something else. I cleaned his nostrils. Looked like impacted grain dust.
5. He is breathing very heavy, head down, lethargic, not eating or drinking.
6. I have used a syringe to get some diluted Gatorade down him and scrambled him an egg that he will not eat. I have been to southern states and tractor supply looking for any med possible and no luck. They had the Tylane 50 but it said for cows and swine. He is inside right now, just laying on a towel. His feet are cold.

Any suggestions, he is an 8 year old silky roo.

Attachments

• FE394327-6394-4757-9952-6AE5DE7CE54B.jpeg
    FE394327-6394-4757-9952-6AE5DE7CE54B.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 15
  • A7DBCD85-10F6-4AF8-9DBD-90BEDDA16723.jpeg
    A7DBCD85-10F6-4AF8-9DBD-90BEDDA16723.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 15B51855-A298-474F-B30A-F03A6EE784CB.jpeg
    15B51855-A298-474F-B30A-F03A6EE784CB.jpeg
    592.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 3354BD50-8A43-4422-98D3-FD3E0F446B02.jpeg
    3354BD50-8A43-4422-98D3-FD3E0F446B02.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Greetings chilman,

It seems your rooster is suffering, mainly, from a respiratory infection. You should treat that, as soon as possible, with a broad spectrum antibiotic. You can use Tylan 50 if that is what is available. I don't use Tylan, so I am not sure on the dosage. Perhaps casportpony help you with the dosage.

Keep him out of drafts, with mild warmth 70 degrees is good. Keep him hydrated, and separate from the hens, till he has recovered.

He has been pecked by the hens because they sense he is ill. This is common behavior in chicken flocks, they are instinctively trying to make him go away. His feet will heal, you have done well by attending to the injury.

Get that antibiotic soon, and start administering it. If you have a veterinarian, that would be the best thing for your rooster. If not we'll do what we can to advise you here on BYC.

These are my thoughts on your rooster's issue. I hope I have been helpful. Other members will have advice, please consider them too.

God Bless :)

It does sound like he may have a respiratory infection. The Tylan 50 injectable is indeed for cattle, but it is also used for chickens. You will need 3 ml syringes with 18 or 20 gauge short needles. You will give it orally, without the needle, a drop at a time. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound 3 times a day for up to 5 days.

Clean the crusts from his eye, and try to clean his nostrils. Use antibiotic ointment in the eye twice a day, either Terramycin or plain Neosporin. You can put a drop of hydrogen peroxide onto a nostril, and let it soften for a few minutes. Take a feather shaft quill or a wooden tooth pick and try to gently clean the nostril. The Neosporin should be put on his injured legs as well. Keep him warm and separated from the flock, at least in a dog crate, or perferably in the house tonight.

Thanks everyone! I will go get the Tylan 50. Was not sure on dosage and no one was able to help me. After cleaning his eye and applying ointment, soaking his foot and applying veteracyin to his foot he is better and holding his little head up. His foot is not as swollen but not weight bearing. I think those girls roughed him up a bit. He did drink but will not eat.

Let us know how he gets along.
He is better, much better! have given him 2 doses of
Tylan, he took a little bit of water on his own. Still shows no interest in food. Have tried eggs, applesauce, crackers...not even a nibble. He is holding his head up, his feet and comb are now warm where as they were cold yesterday. rosebud is being the perfect little house chicken, resting in a kitty bed and watching everything and everybody. shows no interest in getting out of his little bed.

Glad he is better and more aware of his surroundings. I cannot imagine whay a little chicken thinks about being inside the house, LOL. I would try giving him some vitamins orally. Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell 1 ml daily, or liquid baby vitamins that contain thiamine (vitamin B 1) might help his appetite. You may also use a 1/4 tablet of human vitamin B complex crushed onto food. Good luck.

He was actually raised inside and when he got older he had to move out side. then about 2 summers ago he had fly strike and I nursed him back to health and once again he came indoors until he healed. He gets a bath when he has to come indoors! He actually likes his bath and will just sit in the warm water. Ole Rosebud and I have been through a lot together. I’ve had him since he was a day old and he’s 8 years old now. There are days he looks at me and doesn’t like me, but the past 2 days he has been sitting in my lap like a little puppy.

Back
Top Bottom