Sick Baby Chick

Roxyfan

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2015
So I got 15 baby chicks on Wednesday and this morning one of them wasn't moving. She had been acting strange this whole time and wasn't really eating. Right now she is asleep on top of our stove staying warm. I dipped her beak in chick electrolytes and some duramycin-10 but she won't perk up. She won't move at all but she's still breathing. Help please!

I have a question--were they sexed or straight run? Sometimes, the vent-sexers hurt them when they sex them.

If that's not the problem--well, I would not recommend this, were I a vet, but we once gave some cold and unresponsive baby goats a finger dipped in 5-hour energy. It worked well--but you'd have to make a really tiny dose for a chick. Diluted by a factor of ten at least twice, I would think.

I really appreciate the advice but she already passed away yesterday. We had a nice funeral service for her but I will definitely take your advice if that everything happens again. I'm just hoping it doesn't Thankfully the other 14 are currently scampering around their brooder testing our their new wing feathers so I don't think it will happen. Thank you!!

I would stick with chick electrolytes and vitamins in treating a sick or weak chick. The caffeine in an energy drink, although they contain some electrolytes, B vitamins, and amino acids, might be harmful to a chick. So sorry that you lost your chick, but shipping either to a home or to a feed store can sometimes stress or weaken them due to the time in transit.

My friend had suggested that she was just in shock from the shipping but I figured it was something to do with the shipping anyway.

Back
Top Bottom