Sick Bantam rooster

The consistency of the green poops is strange looking. I don’t see any evidence of worms though. You cannot see most worms except for large roundworms, and especially the worm eggs without a microscope. Many chickens will eat mushy wet chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or moist cat food.

I have read that green poop can be a worm infestation but they usually say its runny and our chickens isn't. Not sure why else it is so green. This only started since he has been sick.

I had no idea he liked tuna! You're right, he ate a little of that and then ate some more cracked corn. I tried moist cat food but didn't have any luck with that. We will try scrambled eggs today too.

One thing we are really concerned about is he stumbles and falls down a lot. Is this normal for a sick chicken? He is still very weak, I guess that is expected.

Green poop usually is a sign they are not eating enough, and it contains a lot of bile. Hopefully, he will start eating better and more of a normal diet. Since tapeworms happen when chickens eat one of the intermediate hosts, such as worms, beetles, flies, snails, or slugs, or get re-exposed by eating tapeworms segments, trying to remove any of the intermediate hosts may help control tapeworms.

Our chicken's condition has improved. He's eating and drinking more. He is still very weak and unsteady but seems to be getting better. We gave him another dose of ivermectin at seven days since the last dose because we still think he may have had air sac mites. His breathing seems to have improved but his wattles and comb are still dark. We were putting VetRX on his wattles and comb to help him breathe. Now the skin on his wattles seems to be peeling. We think that may be the VetRX that did it. It makes him uncomfortable when he's already feeling bad. We think he's going to make it. I will continue to update. We do appreciate all the help from everyone on this forum. Thank you!

I would not recommend giving any more ivermectin. It accumulates in the fat and too much can make them quite sick.
Glad he is feeling better though. I hope he continues to improve and gain strength.

Our chicken's condition has improved. He's eating and drinking more. He is still very weak and unsteady but seems to be getting better. We gave him another dose of ivermectin at seven days since the last dose because we still think he may have had air sac mites. His breathing seems to have improved but his wattles and comb are still dark. We were putting VetRX on his wattles and comb to help him breathe. Now the skin on his wattles seems to be peeling. We think that may be the VetRX that did it. It makes him uncomfortable when he's already feeling bad. We think he's going to make it. I will continue to update. We do appreciate all the help from everyone on this forum. Thank you!
He's a fighter! Great job nursing him back to health!

We were putting VetRX on his wattles and comb to help him breathe. Now the skin on his wattles seems to be peeling. We think that may be the VetRX that did it. It makes him uncomfortable when he's already feeling bad. We think he's going to make it.
I've found that VetRx will make the skin on their face/wattles peel. I wouldn't apply any more VetRx to the skin - you can follow directions for misting, vaporizing, etc. those may be better solutions for you. https://www.drugs.com/vet/vetrx-poultry-remedy.html

Do apply a very thin coat of warmed Vaseline to the peeling skin, it will help it heal.

Can you give him some liver or supplemental food to restore his vitamin and nutrients? He may have minor anemia or vitamin deficiency. Also if you can give a probiotic to rebuild his beneficial gut bacteria.

Thank you for your comments.
I will be looking for a warm water vaporizer today. I have one but it isn't for warm water. In the meantime, we've been putting oil on his wattles to help the peeling.

We have also been putting probiotic, vitamin and mineral supplement in his water. We have been feeding him tuna when he eats as well as the chick starter with water. We have found if we add a little honey to it, he eats more. We will pick up some liver this week to see if he will eat it to help too.

He seems to slowly be getting better. His appetite has improved a little. He still doesn't crow in the morning and still breathing hard. We haven't heard the clicking when he breaths for a while now, hoping it is gone.

Thanks to everyone again for all the help! We do appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom