Sick chick--am I doing this right?

Peeps n Bees

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2015
Albany, NY
I have four month-old chicks. One of them (the biggest) has been sneezing a lot for a few days, and some of her poos are watery. I don't see any discharge from her nose or eyes. The other three seem completely fine so far.

I'm not one to automatically start antibiotics if I don't know that it's a bacterial issue, but I'm fine with using them if they're needed. Last night I started feeding all of them a mash of hard-boiled eggs, Activia yogurt (I was shocked at how impossible it is to find plain non-Greek yogurt these days, and they won't eat Greek--must be too sour), and their chick crumbles--about a quarter cup of the mash for all of them (not each) twice a day (plus their normal crumble feeder once they've eaten the mash). They also get organic ACV in their water. Does this sound like a good idea? How long I should wait to see if the sneezing clears up before trying something different? Anything else I should be doing?

Bedding is actually a mix: pine shavings in one half (dog crate) sand in the other (cardboard box).

Do you have them under a heat lamp? 4 week old chicks need to be under a heat lamp. It's strange to me that they would be sneezing, since that would mean they've been exposed to a carrier with a respiratory issue...have they been exposed to other chickens? Also, are you 100% sure they're bedding is very clean and dry? They can get respiratory issues from wet bedding or bedding that is too dirty (moist). Waterers can easily be spilled...if they are in a dog crate, they may be overcrowded by now, depending on the size.

I do not normally treat for respiratory issues as if you treat them, they then become carriers, so I'm not the best to answer you there, but nothing that you're doing will harm them. I would try to find out the source of the issue, however. Also, it's best to remove the sick one so that it doesn't cause the others to become sick as well. Remove to a completely separate area with a heat lamp.

I use an Ecoglow rather than a heat lamp, and they still use that. The crate is large, so they don't seem crowded at all. They haven't been around other chickens, nor people who have chickens. I use a nipple waterer, so that doesn't spill, but I probably haven't been as dutiful as I should be in keeping their bedding clean. I'll be more diligent about that.

I'm not sure I have a way to separate them, but I'll see what I can come up with.

If you pick the chick up and listen carefully when she breaths, can you hear a click or the sound of any fluid? If so, it is probably a respiratory issue. I've had a couple birds with respiratory illness but sneezing wasn't usually a sole symptom.
I'm more inclined to believe it's more of an environmental thing though causing some irritation. Easy way to check, since you should separate her regardless, set up another brooder with only paper towels as the substrate, give her water but hold off on giving any feed for an hour or so (depends on how often she is sneezing) and see if the sneezing continues. If there is no sneezing, give her feed and observe some more, if still no sneezing, add the pine shavings (my suspected culprit) and see if she starts sneezing. this way you can figure out what is causing it.
If she is still sneezing with just paper towels, it could be something respiratory, or you might just have to give it more time for the allergen to clear her system...

Great suggestion, mirandaleecon! I'll give that a try to see if I can narrow down the culprit.

Is the watery poo a concern? Or is that just normal sometimes? (these are my first chickens)

Great suggestion, mirandaleecon! I'll give that a try to see if I can narrow down the culprit.

Is the watery poo a concern? Or is that just normal sometimes? (these are my first chickens)
It can be a concern if it's all the time but sometimes they just consume more water than solids and have watery poop. It is a good idea though, if you are new to chickens to become familiar with the different types of poop. I know it's gross, but it can tell you a ton about their health. If you do a search on this site for chicken poop, you will find tons of information (including pictures, yay!) and if you are familiar, sometimes you will be able to see that there is a problem before any other symptoms show up.

Oh and I forgot to mention, all of the things you are doing (yogurt, ACV, etc) are great!

Back
Top Bottom