Sick Chick - Please help

Ugh, this is very overwhelming! I tried to give her some electrolytes yesterday with a syringe and it didn't go so well, she's just so little I feel like I'm going to hurt her if I use any force.  She seems to be eating and drinking well, but she certainly isn't drinking a gallon a day, is there dosing for Oxytetracycline and Corid in smaller amounts? We have an extra waterer in the small quart size. 

They don't need a gallon a day, they probably only drink an ounce or two. I always adjust my medications accordingly so I don't have to waste a whole gallon. Like maybe figure out the dosage for a quart instead or even down to the cup.

The oxytetracycline could be given just over 1/2 TB per quart of water--1.8 tsp or 0.6 TB to be exact.). Just divide any amount for a gallon by 4, for a quart size waterer.

Ugh, this is very overwhelming! I tried to give her some electrolytes yesterday with a syringe and it didn't go so well, she's just so little I feel like I'm going to hurt her if I use any force.  She seems to be eating and drinking well, but she certainly isn't drinking a gallon a day, is there dosing for Oxytetracycline and Corid in smaller amounts? We have an extra waterer in the small quart size. 

They don't need a gallon a day, they probably only drink an ounce or two. I always adjust my medications accordingly so I don't have to waste a whole gallon. Like maybe figure out the dosage for a quart instead or even down to the cup.

A healthy chick should drink about 18-20% of it's weight per day. For example, a 100 gram chick should drink 18ml to 20ml per day.

-Kathy

Quote: Yes 30ml is one ounce. A healthy 100 gram chick should drink .6 of an ounce to .67 of an ounce a day. The chicks are 6-8 weeks old, I think, so the amount they should drink is 4 to 6 times that. Make sense?

Source:http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps046
Table 2.
Example of target body weights during the rearing of replacement pullets.

Body weight
(Pounds)

(Grams)

-Kathy

Last edited:
Hi, I have had a couple of chickens die on me and one got very close, just standing still, eyes closed no interest in feeding or joining the others. I went to pick up a second hand guinea pig cage to put her in, but I had put her in my laundry with no improvement. The lady I got the cage from suggested something, so I tried it and within 1/2 hr she was on her feet clucking loudly away, so I put her back with the others and continued to give her this stuff and she is fine now. You can purchase it in australia not sure about overseas at any pet store. It's called Nutrigel, it has a picture of a dog and cat on the front. It is a thick dark sticky substance that comes out of a tube. It's concentrated vitamins. I put some on my finger and put it into her mouth, I do this regularly. I also put it onto the chooks feed for a pick me up for all of them, they love it so much they know what the tube looks like and flock me and peck at it before I can get it out. I have gone through half a dozen tubes already, costs only about $13 here in australia. Hope this helps.

Hi, I have had a couple of chickens die on me and one got very close, just standing still, eyes closed no interest in feeding or joining the others. I went to pick up a second hand guinea pig cage to put her in, but I had put her in my laundry with no improvement. The lady I got the cage from suggested something, so I tried it and within 1/2 hr she was on her feet clucking loudly away, so I put her back with the others and continued to give her this stuff and she is fine now. You can purchase it in australia not sure about overseas at any pet store. It's called Nutrigel, it has a picture of a dog and cat on the front. It is a thick dark sticky substance that comes out of a tube. It's concentrated vitamins. I put some on my finger and put it into her mouth, I do this regularly. I also put it onto the chooks feed for a pick me up for all of them, they love it so much they know what the tube looks like and flock me and peck at it before I can get it out. I have gone through half a dozen tubes already, costs only about $13 here in australia. Hope this helps.

I am familiar with that stuff. It's for dogs and cats and I have used it on them when ill or not eating in past. There is some stuff called NutriDrench for poultry though. Does the same thing only made for poultry.

Back
Top Bottom