Sick chick? Weird neck/head shaking

Kelseyrae

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Hi all,
We started our backyard flock 3 weeks ago by picking up 6 chicks from a reputable breeder.
We have kept them in the garage under proper temps, clean cages, organic starter, fresh water twice daily, basically pretty perfect conditions.

We haven't had any problems or scares and all have seemed healthy until today.
One of our gold sex links has been doing this weird thing:
It happens when she is laying down, she will throw her head back all the way to her back, eyes closed, chirps loudly, beak open, and her head kinda shakes/sways back and forth. It usually last for about 10 seconds then her head slowly comes back up and she kinda shakes it off and will continue laying down. It almost looks like some kind of seizure.

She is our smallest chick and sleeps or lays down a little more than the other chicks, but still gets up and wonders around, eating drinking, and scouring through the shavings.

Anyone know what this is? Should we be worried? What action should we take?

We thought something might be stuck in her crop, so we picked her up and gently rubbed her neck. She def acted like she liked it, but has since had another episode.
I've seen her do it 5 times today and I haven't been with we all day, so I'm sure it's been more than that.

Sorry that's lots of info, just sad to see her like that! We want to do what's best for her!
Any help would appreciated!
Kelsey

im having the same problem, what i did is put some antibiotic in the water for now and im waiting to see if it helps them.

What you are describing is indeed vertigo! Usually this is due to a viral or bacterial infection that attacks the nerve used for balance. Dizzy birds tilt their head like you are seeing (called torticollis) and may have trouble with their balance. What you need to do right now is to take all the perches or high platforms out of the cage or enclosure. Bring the food and water down to heras well. Have her seen by the vet in the morning to check for an ear infection. If there is one it can be treated, if not then usually time will pass and as long as he's eating this usually resolves on it's own.
(Paragraph from JustAnswer.com)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom