sick chick

do you think it is heat sickness? my brooder is about 79 degrees right now, it ranges between 79 and 81 usually. is that too hot? they are about three weeks or so. i have 8 more in there but i took her out into a differnet box in case she has disease.

Baby chicks born to a hen that lives outside usually don't spend all day under it's momma hen. they are out and about picking and scratching.

they only go to momma for heat as they need it.

I am guessing that your brooder is a bit small or they can't get away from the heat. The bigger the brooder the better.

They look to me like they are trying to get away from the heat.

The whole brooder does not need heat covering every square inch.... they do need a cooler area to get away from the heat.

It is good you separated her for "just in case" of a disease.

Start with your brooder situation and go from there.

Last edited:
well i have them in a Sterilie tub turned brooder, it is the largest i could buy, and the lamp contains a regular 100 watt bulb but only in one corner, they have the food in the middle and a non lighted end that stays alot cooler. I admit they are needing a bigger space, i am going to work on that this weekend, where we are it has been a bit cold/wintery weather still so they can;t really go outside, but this weekend is going to be lovely so i think they will spend some time out.

the one in question took to the sugar water ok, and was eating this morning, she just has this thing with curling her head up under herself and sometimes even looking like she is standing on her neck! But her temp in the seprate tub is only at 77.

I will try to get her outside also asnd see if that helps. Everyone else is rearin' to go though, just a peckin' and a chirpin'.

well i have them in a Sterilie tub turned brooder, it is the largest i could buy, and the lamp contains a regular 100 watt bulb but only in one corner, they have the food in the middle and a non lighted end that stays alot cooler. I admit they are needing a bigger space, i am going to work on that this weekend, where we are it has been a bit cold/wintery weather still so they can;t really go outside, but this weekend is going to be lovely so i think they will spend some time out.

the one in question took to the sugar water ok, and was eating this morning, she just has this thing with curling her head up under herself and sometimes even looking like she is standing on her neck! But her temp in the seprate tub is only at 77.

I will try to get her outside also asnd see if that helps. Everyone else is rearin' to go though, just a peckin' and a chirpin'.
OK this add's another piece to the puzzle. a crooked neck could mean a disease as it is a symptom for some.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Here is a list of questions to help others to figure out the problem. Good Luck.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2) What is the behavior, exactly.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11) Describe the housing/bedding in use.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.[/FONT]

Just copy and paste then fill the answers in.

Here is a list of questions to help others to figure out the problem. Good Luck.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.). Rhodie, about 4 weeks, not sure but same size as the two other rhodies ( i have 3 rhodies, 3 barred rock, 3 golden sex link) of the same age, all birds obtained at the same time.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. doesn't move around much, wobbly when she does, hangs head down or curls it up under her chest and backs herself up into the corner, soetimes will actually be resting completely on her neck almost like she is going to roll over onto her back (somersault). She eats and drinks, and has slightly runny brownish color poop.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? about 2 days

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing (that i know of) the other birds seemed to just walk around or over her, not picking at /on her

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. yes, some took some sugar water pretty well last night

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. as stated above

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? quarantined to her own tub no direct heat source, and sugar water

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? no treatment plans, do not wish to incur a vet bill on a not yet producing bird. will just replace if need be.

11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. x-large sterilite storage tub, pine shavings, indirect heat lamp (100w regular bulb) temp ranging between at 76 - 82 with ability to move to an unheated area of the brooder at will, covered with chicken wire (plenty of ventilation). currently housed in a different/smaller sterilite tub alone, no direct heat, with pine shavings and chicken wire covering.

12) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. i have posted pics above of some of what she has been doing/looking like

she didn;t start out with a crooked neck, she just started looking like her head was heavy and she couldn;t hold it up, now she pulls it under herself almost like she is preening her belly but she just lays there, and only in the last two days has she done this, i got all the chicks from the same place at the same time.

I have been searching the better part of the day for the same symptoms in a 4 week old barred rock. No other birds have any symptoms. She seems to go into seizure if her head is upright for a small bit of time, the shaking and backing end within a minute and she just stays there. She does not have head tremors when she sleeps. They increase if she is stressed. I have been giving her vitamins/electrolytes. Seems like if I hold her, so long as her head is able to drop down, she is comfortable and calm. However, I have boy scouts tomorrow and wont be able to hold her all day. I am subscribing to this topic and hoping for more feedback on the possible solution. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom