Sick Chicken have lost one already

Vbrown71

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
North Haven Maine
Hello everyone ,
Okay so here is what is going on. One night last week 2 of my chicken didn't come back to the coop. We went looking for them and found them under a bush and got the back to the coop . This was like last Friday. Sat. when I went to let them out of the coop one of those chicken I called Ms Nubbs was very Lethargic in the nesting box and cover in diarrhea. Brought her in the house and try to re hydrate her. she Passed shortly after. Now here is what going on; Her Partner or the other chicken that was with her Marmalade is now sick. Her Symptom: Diarrhea, Standing alone ruffled up , she is now not really eating . I have given her Olive Oil thinking she may be Blocked she did Pass a very small egg . and was still at that point eating. We are now a week into this she was still acting funny so I gave her Epsom salt and water to detox her thinking she at something poisonous again she perked up a little . Today has been the day she has become the Loner staying away from everyone, wicked runny poop more liquid y. She tried to eat and was having a hard time . I have brought her in and put her in a warm bath and washed the vent which had what look to me as undigested scratch I diluted a teaspoon of honey and water and gave that to her to help her Immune system . Is what I have do to treat her correct. Hoping I don't Lose her too she is Like 2 possible 3 yrs of age

She is also Molting and everyone else is Healthy

Last edited:
Since I just lost 2 to enteritis, I'll suggest it. It's often recommended to use Tylan for it for 5 days, I believe the dose is 1 tsp per gallon. It could certainly be something else. Did the 2 of them maybe eat something bad?

Hello everyone ,
Okay so here is what is going on. One night last week 2 of my chicken didn't come back to the coop. We went looking for them and found them under a bush and got the back to the coop . This was like last Friday. Sat. when I went to let them out of the coop one of those chicken I called Ms Nubbs was very Lethargic in the nesting box and cover in diarrhea. Brought her in the house and try to re hydrate her. she Passed shortly after. Now here is what going on; Her Partner or the other chicken that was with her Marmalade is now sick. Her Symptom: Diarrhea, Standing alone ruffled up , she is now not really eating . I have given her Olive Oil thinking she may be Blocked she did Pass a very small egg . and was still at that point eating. We are now a week into this she was still acting funny so I gave her Epsom salt and water to detox her thinking she at something poisonous again she perked up a little . Today has been the day she has become the Loner staying away from everyone, wicked runny poop more liquid y. She tried to eat and was having a hard time . I have brought her in and put her in a warm bath and washed the vent which had what look to me as undigested scratch I diluted a teaspoon of honey and water and gave that to her to help her Immune system . Is what I have do to treat her correct. Hoping I don't Lose her too she is Like 2 possible 3 yrs of age

She is also Molting and everyone else is Healthy
Diarrhea and puffing up, not eating,loss of one chicken--I would start Corid (amprollium) right away in their water. The liquid Corid is easier to give a drop or two undiluted before mixing it in the water, and any chickens not drinking well need to be given the Corid with a dropper. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid or 1.5 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water as only source, for 5-7 days. Following treatment give several days of vitamins and probiotics. Then I would get a good wormer such as Valbazen or SafeGuard Goat wormer and dose them1/2 ml orally, then repeat in 10 days.

GetThumbnail.aspx
GetThumbnail.aspx

It's possible it's cocci, but the hen is 2-3 and it would not be common (but possible) . Coccidiosis is most often seen in those under 4 months old. (most often)

I ended up saving a few lives with a hatch because I panicked and gave them Corrid and Tylan. Little did I know that they had enteritis, and the Tylan saved them.

Yes, it is more common in chickens under the age of 20 weeks, but there are two strains (out of the 9 or more affecting chickens) that cause a more chronic form. Also, past coccidiosis can lead to enteritis in older chickens. Treating with Corid is pretty harmless, but if the OP gets a stool sample (fresh) checked by a vet, a coccidia or worm overload can be seen. I believe that enteritis is much harder to diagnose that way.

Last edited:
I think I have found what is going on thanks to the Poop chart :

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

if I am right then we are suffering with Clostridium perfringens :Symptoms are weight loss, drinking excessive amounts of water, and diarrhea that consists of a lot of watery clear or white fluid, with small amounts of undigested seeds, greens etc. The droppings have a strong, strange smell. (Not horrible enough to make you gag, but different to normal droppings). but Before I do antibiotic I will try Corid (amprollium) Thank you Eggcessive. Plus do so Research on coccidiosis

The undigested seeds and foul smelling droppings may be clostridium perfringens and enteritis. Enteritis can be treated best with amoxicillin or Tylan. A fecal test could tell you if there is a ton of cocci (all chickens will have some) and a vet could help if it is enteritis. Tylan Powder for water treatment is at most feed stores--dosage is 1 teaspoonful per gallon, or you could use the injectable Tylan 50. Bloody droppings only occur in 3 out of 9 strains of cocci.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom