Sick Chicken! Help! Frostbite? Sour Crop?

She's been eating her yogurt, and has perked up a little. :) But she's still hobbling around on her hocks.

That's a good start! I would still give her crushed up vitamins, when you can, to speed up the process. I found with my chickens they perked up the day after giving them vitamins. I gave human B-complex tablets to them.

Actually some good information here. I have a 2.5-year-old Red Sex Link, lethargic for about a month, puffed up and had some crop issues I believe I took care of. Very similar symptoms, today she started curling one foot back and walking on the joint. Going to try and up their vitamins with whatever I can find around.

Actually some good information here. I have a 2.5-year-old Red Sex Link, lethargic for about a month, puffed up and had some crop issues I believe I took care of. Very similar symptoms, today she started curling one foot back and walking on the joint. Going to try and up their vitamins with whatever I can find

Yes, I now know from recent experience if I see a chicken with curled feet: vitamins ASAP (it's important to act fast, trust me!), especially B-complex.

She's a year and a couple of months.
Her food is transitional organic food. She gets kitchen scraps for treats.
We hatched her, so we've had her her whole life.
I'll get some more pictures tomorrow.
When she pooped, it was solid, but green with a white cap, as though she had access to grass.
It was empty after she spit up. It is full with food now because she ate. I'll check in the morning.

I've been looking, and it doesn't look like frostbite. It's more likely to be the vitamin deficiency.

I'll tell you tomorrow what her crop is like.

Hope that the pictures are what you wanted. Also, thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it, and so does Nya (the chicken).

Attachments

• IMG_20181112_171841958.jpg
    IMG_20181112_171841958.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20181112_171855323.jpg
    IMG_20181112_171855323.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 8
Her crop is empty, she digested all of the food that she ate yesterday. I'll give her some more food since she doesn't seem to be having a problem. I'm also going to add some vitamins to her water, that I forgot we had.

About the bag.... I forgot that we feed the pet chickens different stuff from our laying hens. It's a layer crumble of sorts. Lots of corn and peas. Don't think that it's transitional organic. About the tag, I threw away the bag, so that tag is nowhere to be found.

No, she's not laying eggs, at least for the time being. She's been molting. Who knows if she's going to start up again. She's a bantam, she does what she wants. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20181113_080725492.jpg
    IMG_20181113_080725492.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 5
From what I can see, the poop is well formed.
I would assume the green is from the feed if it contains peas.
The main problem with that type of feed is some birds will pick out the pieces they like best - let's just say the peas:) and they don't eat the other ingredients. They need to eat all the components to have a nutritionally balanced diet.
Try the poultry vitamins and see if that makes a difference. If she is molting, she would likely benefit from extra protein as well - egg, tuna, meat.

Back
Top Bottom