Sick Chicken, is this water belly?

chirpingstad

Songster
Oct 14, 2020
Michigan
help please! my 3 year old hen is looking very distressed, her abdomen is firm and swollen and she’s waddling with her legs pretty far apart, her comb is turning purple and is very floppy. she’s still eating and drinking but is not very interested in free ranging and mainly stands her with her head tucked close to her body. poop is runny and greenish, and her backside is getting dirty because of it.

Attachments

• FB19AC1F-A229-4EFA-A715-12626201E4F2.png
    FB19AC1F-A229-4EFA-A715-12626201E4F2.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 168
  • 04227BCA-44EC-4BD3-8F48-D57E97424F43.png
    04227BCA-44EC-4BD3-8F48-D57E97424F43.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 4C5B55A4-1501-44C9-96FE-F092446CC0BC.png
    4C5B55A4-1501-44C9-96FE-F092446CC0BC.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
I agree, I'd get some Calcium into her asap.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Do you feel any bloat or fluid in her abdomen below the vent between her legs?

I agree, I'd get some Calcium into her asap.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Do you feel any bloat or fluid in her abdomen below the vent between her legs?
it feels more bloated than fluid

help please! my 3 year old hen is looking very distressed, her abdomen is firm and swollen and she’s waddling with her legs pretty far apart, her comb is turning purple and is very floppy. she’s still eating and drinking but is not very interested in free ranging and mainly stands her with her head tucked close to her body. poop is runny and greenish, and her backside is getting dirty because of it.
If you realy could not bear to lose her, and have the money, I would take her to the vet. If not, at least give her a bath so her backside is a little cleaner.

When did she last lay an egg and has she had issues with forming proper eggshells lately?

Keep her butt well cleaned as you don't want her to get deadly flystrike.

When did she last lay an egg and has she had issues with forming proper eggshells lately?

Keep her butt well cleaned as you don't want her to get deadly flystrike.
i don’t know when she last laid an egg, out of my 6 girls, we usually get around 4 eggs a day, there have been no eggshell problems though, never seen a soft shelled egg in my flock. i’m running a bath for her now!

If you realy could not bear to lose her, and have the money, I would take her to the vet. If not, at least give her a bath so her backside is a little cleaner.
i have an appointment tomorrow for another one of my chickens, the only problem with the vet is that they usually take a week or two to get them in, so i’m just afraid they wouldn’t be able to get her in in time

Back
Top Bottom