Sick chicken - lethargic and sitting in the corner - advice please.

I Had A Very Similar Problem Go Through My Hens I Had To Contact The Dept Of Agri. In Harrisburg I Was Losing 2 Hens A Week . It Was Fowl Cholera. He Said When They Hide In Corners Or Shovels That A Huge Sign I Had To Put The Whole Flock On Duramycin 10 Otherwise Id Lose Them All . Hope This Helps Good Luck

I am going to start with the yoghurt in the morning.

I am a bit reluctant to bring her in though as a)the dogs and b) have heard that they wont accept her back into the flock - not sure bout this though but i think the dogs will be too much.

Have just ordered some Coxoid so hopefully that will arrive on Tuesday as can't find any shops in the UK who stock anything like it.

Will give the run a good clean out tomorrow and keep going with the syringing and yoghurt.

Fingers crossed for her as she is our favourite (i know you shouldn't have favourites but she is def the friendliest and cuteist and always wants a cuddle)

Bring her in and put her in a dog carrier or something similar and if you can sequester her away from everything, in a dark room with the door closed would be best & less stress.

...JP

Have brought her in and put her in one of the bedroom in a box with open lid with straw and bowl of water. Gave her a small amount of yoghurt but only about little finger nail amount as she wouldn't take any and some more diarolyte through a syringe. She had her eyes closed and at one point fell asleep standing up and nearly fell over! Very worried about her i hope she makes it. She felt cold so have put the heating on in the bedroom for her.

Also I am going to dig out the run tomorrow but most of it is mud so will shovel it out. Do i need to put anything on the dirt to treat it or will digging it out suffice.

Quote:
From what I read, it is best to replace it so that it will be no more. I'm going to the home improvement store tomarrow to make a "deck" right by the door where it is the most muddy.

I always knew the mud what not the best thing for them, but I never thought it would hurt them so. My poor things haven't been out of their coop in two day now. I don't think they understand that it is for their own good!

Good luck to you... seems you and I have the same chores tommarrow.

Thanks for all advice and help but she sadly died over night. There was blood in the bottom of the box when i emptied out the straw but not sure where is came from i am assuming her backend.

I am going to ring the vet on Monday to see if it is Coccidiosis or if something is going round. I really don't want to lose anymore.

I am so sorry about your hen! Perhaps you could refrigerate her, and take her in to have her looked at or even necropsied. Then at least you might have some idea of what took her down and if the rest of your flock is in danger. I would go ahead and get the Coxoid, or Corid or Sulmet or whatever they use over there, just to have on hand, as cocci and cholera happen so quickly.

I want to thank EVERYONE who commented on the "sick chicken" threads--I found my beloved "And Waffles" (as in chicken "and waffles") lethargic, looked swollen on one side, not eating, isolated, not walking. We lost her 2 sisters back to back a few weeks ago-they're only 2. Rest of the herd is fine. The wormer was backordered and no one had it in town, so I read the advice of "massage the croup, use some olive oil".

First of all, she STUNK to high Heaven. Like, stench of DEATH in my bathroom where we had her. She would not eat, would not take any interest. So for the three days I kept her in there, I'd walk in, pick her up, massage, massage, massage, tell her olive oil was yummy on rice or oatmeal or whatever I was trying to feed her, and tell her she needed to get better. She even had her own radio. She liked classic rock-heh. Day three's end, the smell was ridiculous but she was standing a little bit. I put her on the side of the connected coups that the chickens rarely venture in to but she liked, and just hoped for the best, and bleached down my bathroom from the smell.

Next morning, I didn't see her until I found her curled up in the coop. She was awake but not moving. I petted her, told her to hang in there, and sadly went to work.

I came home ten hours later, to find And Waffles with the herd. Next morning, she was eating. Now, she oddly lets us pick her up after her ordeal, and devours anything in sight.

No idea if it was the olive oil, the massage, or the vacation, but all of your advice worked and And Waffles is a happy fat chicken again.

Back
Top Bottom