Sick chicken

melissathib

In the Brooder
May 21, 2016
DeRidder, Louisiana
I have a sick chicken and don't know what to do. She is approximately 16 weeks old, and is a probable cross between a Cream Legbar and Bielefelder. She is drooping her tail, her poop is pretty much just urine, and she has no interest in eating. She is drinking water somewhat and the only thing she seems to want to eat is oyster shell and some grit. She did peck a few bites of oatmeal this afternoon. She will walk around, but is just not interested.

I have added electrolytes to her water and soaked her bottom in warm water, just in case that would help. I just don't know enough about all this to know what else to do, as I've had chickens for less than a year now. After much Googling, I'm still at a loss!

So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have added a picture of her from just a few moments ago.

I have a sick chicken and don't know what to do. She is approximately 16 weeks old, and is a probable cross between a Cream Legbar and Bielefelder. She is drooping her tail, her poop is pretty much just urine, and she has no interest in eating. She is drinking water somewhat and the only thing she seems to want to eat is oyster shell and some grit. She did peck a few bites of oatmeal this afternoon. She will walk around, but is just not interested.

I have added electrolytes to her water and soaked her bottom in warm water, just in case that would help. I just don't know enough about all this to know what else to do, as I've had chickens for less than a year now. After much Googling, I'm still at a loss!

So any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have added a picture of her from just a few moments ago.

Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

Do you have vet care available?
Has she started laying eggs?

How does her crop feel - is it full, hard, soft, squishy - do you notice any odors/yeasty breath?

It's hard to know what's going on. Eating only oyster shell and grit with a little water makes me think of 2 possibilities. She's having trouble laying an egg or she has a crop issue.

Does she act like she is trying to lay and egg?
Check her crop - I'm sure it will be hard to tell with her eating all the grit - but does it feel like it's not emptying?

Give her plenty of water, add some poultry vitamins if you have them. I would also give her a one time extra calcium - crush or dissolve a Tums or give liquid calcium to her. If she is having trouble with an egg, hopefully this will help her out.

Here's more info on crop issues:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2014/06/chicken-anatomy-crop-impacted-crop-sour.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Last edited:
I had a friend who knows more about chickens than I do look at her yesterday, and she said her crop felt empty, as if she hadn't eaten all day. As far as her trying to lay an egg, I just don't know. I'm so new to this and didn't see any of the ones who are already laying have this much trouble. She's only around 16ish weeks, though. I thought that was too young, but maybe not. I'll try the crushed Tums, though, and see what that does.

I don't notice any off smell, and her vent looks clean. Just her back feathers are messy.

Also, thanks for the links. I'll look at them now.

I had a friend who knows more about chickens than I do look at her yesterday, and she said her crop felt empty, as if she hadn't eaten all day. As far as her trying to lay an egg, I just don't know. I'm so new to this and didn't see any of the ones who are already laying have this much trouble. She's only around 16ish weeks, though. I thought that was too young, but maybe not. I'll try the crushed Tums, though, and see what that does.

I don't notice any off smell, and her vent looks clean. Just her back feathers are messy.

Also, thanks for the links. I'll look at them now.

She is a bit young, but you never know she may be trying to lay - I found it interesting that she was consuming a lot of oyster shells and grit. She is also pictured in what looks like a nesting box - pullets do sometimes investigate nesting boxes to see what all the fuss is about, but don't normally stay in them unless they are coming into lay - that is unless this is her normal place to be.

If you have a vet that can perform a fecal float test and check for cocci and worms that would be a good idea.

Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom