sick chickens, help!

southafrica74

Hatching
Oct 4, 2015
blythewood sc
We have 25 healthy chickens raised from chics. We recently bought 6 new hens that were already laying. Day three we found one of the new chickens dead (no signs of anything wrong), 2 days later one of the original 25 appeared very docile and made a low moaning noise, the next morning she died, no outward symptoms of sickness. Now one chicken appears to have muscus in it's eyes and is acting docile as well. What should i do? After the death of the first chicken i seperated the new ones from the original 25 but it appears i was too late. We are new to raising chickens, any help is appreciated.

Welcome to BYC. The new chickens may have been carriers of some disease, possibly a respiratory disease since you describe eye drainage. If you lose another chicken, I would contact your state vet or veterinary college to do a necropsy to find the cause of death. Respiratory diseases include MG, ILT, coryza, infectious bronchitis, and others. Have you seen any coughing, wheezing, nasal drainage, lameness or other symptoms? Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom