Sick Dog and Vet can't find the issue

Not to be a Conspiracy Theorist or anything, but uh.

1.) No links to actual scientific studies - only to other articles published by Tufts itself. It is anecdotal evidence based on ONE case in specific, and generalities otherwise. Claims are unsubstantiated. Where are the articles / other practices to verify the claim that "Recently, some veterinary cardiologists have been reporting increased rates of DCM in dogs," as stated in the article? All of this is just being said. There's no outside evidence or scientific articles supporting it.

2.) Hill's / Science Diet and Purina both are donors to Tuft's Veterinary Program. Of course they don't want anything saying that grain free is healthier; of course they want things that say it's less healthy. Corn costs less and they would love to fill their food with more of it and less meat.

3.) The article points to home made diets being the cause, particularly vegetarian diets being a cause due to a lack of taurine. Ironically enough, grain-based diets CANNOT contain NATURAL taurine, as (unless they use yeast, which is still a live culture), taurine is only found in meat. It is the reason cats need more (and why it is regulated in cat foods) - they are generally more carnivorous in their dietary needs than canines. I know cats can't produce it themselves - it MUST come from meat sources. I'm not sure if dogs can synthesize taurine or not, but I'd be willing to bet they need it as well from meat sources. Raw meat is also a better source than cooked meat - most cat foods, even those with nothing but meat, generally have taurine added to them BECAUSE cooking takes so much out of raw meat.

ANY food that fails to meet AAFCO standards is a hazard. There is no way to confirm that homemade diets are meeting nutritional needs - that's exactly what the article is getting at. Not that "grain free causes heart issues," it's that homemade diets are on the rise and are unbalanced because people are more into the idea than the science.

Those would be my concerns as well. I was wondering who funded the studies because that can seriously impact results. Now that I know they fund it it makes more sense. It is interesting though if it's true but I do think it needs more independent research to support or not support it. I know it is still new so maybe that is why there is not more research but I would like more info and research.

I did find it rather telling too how they mentioned multiple times about switching to a company with a long track record of producing quality food or "well known reputable company" and kept mentioning standard ingredients. Those are also cheaper ones. Chicken, beef, corn rice. I don't think those meats or even rice are so bad but I thought it was odd they put corn in parentheses with those other three as examples of standard ingredients as if those are healthy. Maybe grains and wheat and rice and all that is fine, I don't necessarily think, grain free is necessary for all or even most dogs, but I know for a fact that dogs cannot digest corn. A bit odd they say no evidence supports it. I found it odd though how lamb and fish were considered exotic and unhealthy?? But corn is okay? Wolves are more than likely eating more rabbits, lambs, and fish, than corn... i can how something like kangaroo or bison or something might not be necessary though and they're maybe not catching them but duck and lamb and fish i didnt think were exotic but may be wrong. ANYWAY. Long story short, I did think and wonder when they were mentioning all these reputable companies, long histories, and saying that smaller companies may not have the nutritional knowledge, etc. If they weren't referencing Purina and the like and trying to get people to buy it.

That said, it is interesting for sure and I certainly don't want to hurt my dog and if feeding grains would help him be healthier, I'll do it, especially since the grain foods are much cheaper. But I also know that when we switched to Purina ProPlan Savor he started having soft, runny poops and getting very very itchy and hot spots. He has been on Purina One SmartBlend before and well several years ago but he also seems to do fine on the grain free. Idk. Although he's been having health issues lately and it would ve interesting if those were because pf the grain free. Maybe I could try switching to something with grain that isn't Purina and doesn't have tons of corn

This is just a comment about dog food. It really doesn't have a lot to do with this post but I'll throw it in anyway and you can take it for what it is worth. I have tried a lot of dog foods over the years. Right now I am feeding Purina One chicken and brown rice. I am not sure that rice is any better for dogs than corn is. However, chicken is the first ingredient. Most importantly from my point of view, the dogs like it and they seem to do really well on it. I feed free choice. They are a good weight, have good muscle tone, their coats are slick and shiny, and my little dog scratches a lot less. Their stools are firm and virtually odorless which shows they are digesting their food well. I have a Basset Hound and a Chihuahua cross.

I had a Siberian Husky that had some of the same ongoing symptoms. Vet never could find out what is was. Funny thing, when I moved from one house to another the symptoms stopped. No explanation, other than may be a allergy.

Sounds more like neck/back injury with possible nerve injury also. Did the dog possibly get hit by car or jump down from a real high place ? Is digestion ok now or has the Rimydyl upset the digestion ? Nerve injury and soft tissue damage doesn't usually show up on xrays. Ever tried homeopathics?
If it were my dog,it would be on Arnica 30c and Hypericum 30c, to start and then if no response would treat with remedies for ligaments and tendons. Hope your dog feels better soon !

Sounds more like neck/back injury with possible nerve injury also. Did the dog possibly get hit by car or jump down from a real high place ? Is digestion ok now or has the Rimydyl upset the digestion ? Nerve injury and soft tissue damage doesn't usually show up on xrays. Ever tried homeopathics?
If it were my dog,it would be on Arnica 30c and Hypericum 30c, to start and then if no response would treat with remedies for ligaments and tendons. Hope your dog feels better soon !
No injuries we are aware of as we always keep an eye on him. We are taking him to UOI in the morning as they will be able to run all of the necessary test to see what the issue is.

Yes, please update, hope you get answers.
A couple of thoughts... if you don't get answers still, consider trying a holistic veterinarian. They tend to be more aware of and open to dietary contributors to health issues.
https://www.ahvma.org/find-a-holistic-veterinarian/
Also, commercial food is always to be suspected. I didn't see, or missed, what brand you are feeding (some of the issues with grain free appear to be not so much the missing grain, but what has been used to replace it, like pea protein). Whenever there is an unexplained issue, the food should always be considered. I spent YEARS dealing with health issues in a GSD, multiple vets, multiple medications, no definitive answers. Finally started reading labels and reading articles and studies on my own. She had multiple allergies and sensitivities. I ultimately switched her to a raw, human grade diet (multiple ways to do this) and her issues resolved, I only regret that it took so long. Allergies and sensitivities can manifest in many ways, sometimes seemingly totally unrelated. Just something to consider. Also this info:
http://truthaboutpetfood.com/the-elephant-in-the-pet-food-endotoxins/

Update Monday 6/11/2018-
Woke up this morning to find a dog much improved so I decided to not go to UOI. Returned home from work today with a dog very anxious to get out of the kennel and do the normal things that we expect from puppies. I have no idea how a puppy can be so sick one day and seem almost normal today. At the first sign of illness again, I will be going straight to UOI to determine what the issue is. I just never would have expected such a quick recovery considering how sick he was but am so grateful to have my baby back.

Glad to hear he's doing better. It sounded like neck pain to me. My old dog had a bad disc in his neck, and that would cause him to cry out with sudden movement and also to limp on his front leg. Nothing wrong with that leg, I was told that was a classic symptom of neck pain. Rimadyl is an anti-inflammatory, so that would have helped neck pain. Pano is also a real possibility, it will come and go. You don't say how old your pup is (or I missed it) but that usually starts to show up around 5 to 6 mos. Most common in large breeds, but can show up in medium size dogs.

Back
Top Bottom