Sick Easter Egger - maybe respiratory

Got her to eat about 2 small bites of watermelon. Left some in the crate for her. Added some pure apple juice to her water as well.

Any other ideas on treatment?

I only have VetRx and Tylan 50 (injectable) on hand right now (other medications as well but not for respiratory illness). I have nutridrench too, but the chickens hate that stuff.

If I need to pick something up I'll probably have to do it early in the morning. Just hoping that's not waiting too long.

No smell is good...give antibiotic, and hopefully there will be improvement by tomorrow.

She is shaking her head because her sinuses are stuffed up. Looks like a bad upper respiratory. If any of the other chickens get sick, you can decide what to do then. There are meds you can put in the water.

God Bless to you and your girl. Hope all goes well...you got this!

Got her to eat about 2 small bites of watermelon. Left some in the crate for her. Added some pure apple juice to her water as well.

Any other ideas on treatment?

I only have VetRx and Tylan 50 (injectable) on hand right now (other medications as well but not for respiratory illness). I have nutridrench too, but the chickens hate that stuff.

If I need to pick something up I'll probably have to do it early in the morning. Just hoping that's not waiting too long.

More Vet RX around the nostrils, under eyes and wing pits, will help with symptom relief. You can try and give Nutridrench tomorrow if she is better. Mine hate it too. Just make sure she is away from drafts and has some feed to eat, if she has a mind to. Shredded meat is good now too.

That's it.

Last edited:
Thanks so much! @Hen Pen Jem

UPDATE:

Jenna seems less lethargic, but her eye looks worse to me. She got her second dose of Tylan 50 this morning. Otherwise not much change. I got her to eat some corn this morning and I dripped water onto her beak with a syringe and she drank about 3 mL before she stopped tolerating it. The shredded meat is a good idea!
She also got more VetRx this morning.

Her eye day 2:
Jennaaaaa.jpeg

Jenna cuddles after getting her Tylan. She laid on my lap for a while enjoying her pets!
Jenaa.jpeg

Noticed this while she was lying down today...is this just form her fowl pox?? Shes got one on the bottom of each foot:
Jenna foot.jpeg

Ok, no wonder she is having a hard time. That is "Bumblefoot" infection, caused by a staph bacteria that invaded a break in the skin. Her immune system is overloaded, with bumblefoot infection and the upper respiratory. To have it on one foot is not good, but on both. Double trouble!

Oh well, you've got some more doctoring to do.

• You need to soak her feet in a warm solution of Epsom Salt if you have it, if not use some dish detergent. About 5 min will do, just need to soften and clean those infections. Dry thoroughly.
  • Next, a thick coat of Neosporin, I prefer Colloidal Silver, then cover with a band aid or gauze, then wrap the foot with some self stick gauze to hold and protect everything.
Many people use an exacto knife to cut out the scab/infection plug first. But, it is small, so I think for today you can get away with a conservative approach. You can take another look at it tomorrow and see if you need to get more aggresive.

I don't have any experience with Tylan 50, only use Enrofloxacin. So, I do not know if it will have any affect on the Bubblefoot. But, the topical antibiotic should help. Dressing needs to be changed every other day the first week. Then, if there is improvement, every 3 days till healed. She must have cut her feet on something outside and it got infected. May want to do a foot check on the rest of the girls. Some chickens just have sensitive feet. My rooster has to wear shoes to keep his feet in good shape. He had a really bad Bumblefoot at one time.

Yes, her eye is still inflamed., the sinus on that side is inflamed and causing her eye to be irritated. Apply a warm moist compress if she'll let you. Keep using the Vet Rx. Poor baby.

If she will eat to keep her strength up she might make it. Lots of TLC, and loving voice from you will also help her spirit! The feeling of being cared for and loved, gives a huge boost, even for animals.

Right now, she is in critical condition. But, each day that she eats and drinks will bring her closer to a healing!

God Bless...praying for you and your little one. :)

Hello RRlaney,

I just went back an re-read your original posts.

You stated there is no wheezing or sneezing.

Please also check her crop to see if it is hard, need to make sure she doesn't have an impacted crop. Tell me how it feels, also how are her poops.

Internet diagnosis...no substitute for professional Vet care.

Just keep trying to figure this out.

God Bless.

Ok, no wonder she is having a hard time. That is "Bumblefoot" infection, caused by a staph bacteria that invaded a break in the skin. Her immune system is overloaded, with bumblefoot infection and the upper respiratory. To have it on one foot is not good, but on both. Double trouble!

Oh well, you've got some more doctoring to do.

• You need to soak her feet in a warm solution of Epsom Salt if you have it, if not use some dish detergent. About 5 min will do, just need to soften and clean those infections. Dry thoroughly.
  • Next, a thick coat of Neosporin, I prefer Colloidal Silver, then cover with a band aid or gauze, then wrap the foot with some self stick gauze to hold and protect everything.
Many people use an exacto knife to cut out the scab/infection plug first. But, it is small, so I think for today you can get away with a conservative approach. You can take another look at it tomorrow and see if you need to get more aggresive.

I don't have any experience with Tylan 50, only use Enrofloxacin. So, I do not know if it will have any affect on the Bubblefoot. But, the topical antibiotic should help. Dressing needs to be changed every other day the first week. Then, if there is improvement, every 3 days till healed. She must have cut her feet on something outside and it got infected. May want to do a foot check on the rest of the girls. Some chickens just have sensitive feet. My rooster has to wear shoes to keep his feet in good shape. He had a really bad Bumblefoot at one time.

Yes, her eye is still inflamed., the sinus on that side is inflamed and causing her eye to be irritated. Apply a warm moist compress if she'll let you. Keep using the Vet Rx. Poor baby.

If she will eat to keep her strength up she might make it. Lots of TLC, and loving voice from you will also help her spirit! The feeling of being cared for and loved, gives a huge boost, even for animals.

Right now, she is in critical condition. But, each day that she eats and drinks will bring her closer to a healing!

God Bless...praying for you and your little one. :)

We did some work on the bumblefoot this morning. Did some research and cut out the infection with a scalpel. It actually didn't look too bad, just a tiny bit of pus in there. She got an Epsom salt/baking soda soak before and after, and some good irrigation. Then dried and bandaged with Neosporin. She was a champ through the whole thing. And her energy seems up even more. She ate some corn and shredded meat afterwards.

She also got her 3rd dose of Tylan today. Eye looks less swollen I think, but still shut.

She's pooping normally now, although it has a greenish tinge to parts of it.

Update photo after bumblefoot "surgery":
Post bumblefoot surgery.jpeg

Wow! Great job! Those feet are well wrapped.

She looks so much better. I am glad to see her standing and eating.

I was a bit concerned about her low appetite, that's why I asked you to check her crop. As you can see, when it rains it pours!

Your going to have to get a job as a Vet Tech after this!

Please keep me updated on her progress, I am praying for her recovery.

Again, great job!

:thumbsup

UPDATE:

Jenna is doing really well. On Saturday her eye was all the way open and the swelling was almost completely gone (picture below).

She has her normal energy back and has no signs of the respiratory illness anymore. She's eating tons and has normal looking poops...a lot!
In fact, she has so much energy she is trying to fly around the crate. She continually knocks over all her food and water, which is frustrating, but I am so happy she is feeling better.

My next question is: How long do I need to keep her separated? Now that she's feeling better I can tell she is miserable in the crate all day and night (minus short breaks for treatments, cuddles, or that I've let her wander a little in the garage). But it's back to long work days so she won't have as much interaction today.

I am confident the respiratory symptoms are gone, not sure how long she would be contagious from that.
And as for the bumblefoot, I redressed her feet yesterday morning and they are healing great! She walks around fine as well. I just don't know if you're supposed to keep chickens separated when they have bumblefoot. Her dressings are pretty thick, and I can change them daily so I don't think the wounds in her feet would get dirty or reinfected (we have grass in our whole yard for the hens).

What do y'all think? How much longer does she need to stay in the crate?

And thanks so much @Hen Pen Jem for all the prayers and good advice!

Saturday morning:
(This is the eye that was swollen completely shut)
Jenna's eye is better.jpeg

Wonderful! I am so glad that she is recovering well. But, why wouldn't she? You and your boyfriend have done a great job of attending to her, during her time of need!

You researched, gathered advice, settled on a possible diagnosis, and put together a treatment plan, then worked at it consistently. Awesome!

She will be in recovery for another week or so for the respiratory. She can relapse so be vigilant.

As far as the bumblefoot. Her wrappings will protect the wound, just keep up with the inspections, cleanings and wrappings till it is healed.

So yes, I think she can go outside during the day, if it is sunny. It will do her good to be with the other hens. There could be some "hen pecking" and chasing, since she's been gone for almost a week. So, someone needs to check on her. Drafts and being out in the wind is not good right now. Hopefully it won't be freezing temps tonight; if you decide to let her sleep in the coop. You can judge whether is OK or not.

Again, great job!
God Bless you all! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom