Sick Easter Egger - maybe respiratory

Wonderful! I am so glad that she is recovering well. But, why wouldn't she? You and your boyfriend have done a great job of attending to her, during her time of need!

You researched, gathered advice, settled on a possible diagnosis, and put together a treatment plan, then worked at it consistently. Awesome!

She will be in recovery for another week or so for the respiratory. She can relapse so be vigilant.

As far as the bumblefoot. Her wrappings will protect the wound, just keep up with the inspections, cleanings and wrappings till it is healed.

So yes, I think she can go outside during the day, if it is sunny. It will do her good to be with the other hens. There could be some "hen pecking" and chasing, since she's been gone for almost a week. So, someone needs to check on her. Drafts and being out in the wind is not good right now. Hopefully it won't be freezing temps tonight; if you decide to let her sleep in the coop. You can judge whether is OK or not.

Again, great job!
God Bless you all! :thumbsup

Thank you, I really love my bock bocks so it's worth it to learn how to treat all these horrible things that try to bring them down!

It's been beautiful out this week! Perfect recovery weather!

UPDATE

Today will be Jenna's first day back outside with the flock. It's about 75 degrees out today! I'll still pull her into the crate in the garage to sleep for the night for the next week or so. It'll be easier to catch her in the mornings for feet redressing anyways!

I redressed her feet wounds this morning and they looks great! Healing so fast! And we upgraded to pink dressings so Jenna would feel pretty!

I put her outside this morning shortly after and she ran straight to the waterer and drank a ton of water! YAY! I think it'll be really good for her to get out of that crate and be a normal chicken for a while. Pictures incoming:

Jenna is showing off her pink kicks... all of her friends are jealous! :plbb
Jealous bock bocks.jpeg

Happy bock bocks!
Flock back together.jpeg

She does look fashionable in those pink wraps! LOL!!!

Yes, their state of mind is important to healing too. Some chickens do get depressed when they are away from the flock, or if they can't get exercise.

I really like that you documented with photos, so others can see what you did.

Beautiful flock, they all look very healthy and happy.

Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated!

God Bless and peace to you! :goodpost:

She does look fashionable in those pink wraps! LOL!!!

Yes, their state of mind is important to healing too. Some chickens do get depressed when they are away from the flock, or if they can't get exercise.

I really like that you documented with photos, so others can see what you did.

Beautiful flock, they all look very healthy and happy.

Thank you for sharing and keeping us updated!

God Bless and peace to you! :goodpost:

Still progressing well. Thanks again for all of your help!

Last question:

Is there any way for me to change the title of this post? I feel like it could help others who are dealing with bumblefoot, but it's labeled as respiratory since that is what I originally thought I was dealing with.

Hi RRLaney,

That's a great idea!

But, remember the swollen eye, nasal mucous, and clear poop that first got your attention. This was what Veterinarians call the, "secondary infection".

It most likely developed as a result of the severe bumblefoot infection. Her immune system was weak, and the respiratory system was invaded.

But, the way you handled everything, that is a testament to others that want to help their feathered friends!

So, I believe you just start a new thread and insert a link to this thread.

So good to hear from you. I am really glad Jenna is doing well!

God Bless! :highfive:

Back
Top Bottom