Sick EE Hen - twisted neck, swollen eye, green poo, crop not emptying.

Nimby Chickens

Songster
9 Years
Oct 20, 2010
Central FL
My poor Figment has a twisted neck! At first I thought it was wry neck - gave her lots of polyvisol without iron and no change. I checked her crop and it's not emptying so I don't think she's getting the nutrients. Crop doesn't feel hard, feels normal if maybe a little squishy. Her breath smells AWFUL and her breathing is slightly crackly and her nose is runny. Her eye on one side is swollen and was stuck shut - I put a warm compress on it until it opened. She was dragging it on the ground though so that could easily have hurt her eye. She was laying but has not laid an egg in several days. This has been going on for 2 days now and nothing has worked. I tried to make her vomit, thinking it was sour crop but nothing would come out.

She seems alert but keeps trying to escape backwards. She is now in a cat carrier with towels so she doesn't hurt herself. I have no idea what it could be!

Here is a picture, note the twisty neck.

2F8086C2-orig.jpg

Edited to add: She is 10 months old, we have been syringing water and oil in case of crop impaction.

Last edited:
long shot but I had same issues and thought the worst. Had tested and it was a vitiman E dif. They could not stand and neck upside down. Happened only with a few month old birds.

Quote:
I tried the polyvisol without iron for vitamins (it has a ton of vit E) - but since nothing is moving through her crop she's not getting any of the vitamins. I'm sure the wry neck is just a side effect of the bigger issue of why she's not digesting anything.

you can think im a bad person but I took the oil type capsuls and got the oil out and injected it in the back of the neck for 2 days and they were fine. I stopped injecting as soon as they started to get around. Make sure its warm and just a tiny bit.
Quote:
I tried the polyvisol without iron for vitamins (it has a ton of vit E) - but since nothing is moving through her crop she's not getting any of the vitamins. I'm sure the wry neck is just a side effect of the bigger issue of why she's not digesting anything.

Quote:

I don't think you're a bad person. I am comfortable giving injections and I have vit E gelcaps. What gauge needle did you use? I had a needle for chicken injections that turned out to be too small a gague. I did not know that they could absorb vitamins subcutaneously.

I use 2 caplets and I cant remember the needle size but its bigger because the E is thick. I give it in the back of the neck a few days and sometimes more. 1 time a day though. hope it works. Good luck!
Quote:

I don't think you're a bad person. I am comfortable giving injections and I have vit E gelcaps. What gauge needle did you use? I had a needle for chicken injections that turned out to be too small a gague. I did not know that they could absorb vitamins subcutaneously.

Quote:

Did yours have all the other symptoms too? Or just the twisted neck?

Update: her poo is no longer green - just the white/yellow stuff (ura/urates?) And a clearish goo. Crop still has stuff in it, no improvement.

If she has a foul odor then probably sour crop. Give her some apple cider vinegar and massage the crop down toward where it empties into the stomach see if that clears it up the odor and then give her the poly visol.

Back
Top Bottom