Sick goose

Clodhoppers

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
Western Washington
I noticed at day brake that one goose was huddled down too far from the other six. When startled, the goose could not get up on its feet. I was able to carry it close to the hutch and tried to make it drink water with brewer's yeast mixed in. The goose did drink a few sips. I tried a few more times, but as far as I can tell the goose did not drink anymore since early this morning. All the others should have plenty of niacin in them by now... so my concern is, do I have to force water into the goose and how?

No apparent injuries and the legs are warm to the touch. The geese do talk to each other.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I noticed at day brake that one goose was huddled down too far from the other six. When startled, the goose could not get up on its feet. I was able to carry it close to the hutch and tried to make it drink water with brewer's yeast mixed in. The goose did drink a few sips. I tried a few more times, but as far as I can tell the goose did not drink anymore since early this morning. All the others should have plenty of niacin in them by now... so my concern is, do I have to force water into the goose and how?

No apparent injuries and the legs are warm to the touch. The geese do talk to each other.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
I don't think you can force water into one without risk of it going into their lungs unless you tube feed her. How old? you could try dipping her bill in frequently and see if she'll take sips. Do you have some ACV? you might try getting her to drink some water mixed with it. Mine like it and it's a great tonic as well as anti bacterial. I put it into the drinking buckets they wash their faces in it and also drink it. 1-2 Tab to 1 gallon of water, What are your temps like does she appear to be cold.?

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Lydia,

We did have record low last night down to 21F and a high of 34F. I suspected cold at first as well, but her legs were warm even early this morning. Yes I do have some of Braggs ACV. Never gave it to the geese though. I'll go out and offer that to him/her. I moved the goose back in the hutch into the straw. She can only belly scoot but managed to come out. Unfortunately, she is not pleased with me handling her. Was in their territory so many times today, the ganders gave up investigating! I'll keep you posted...

Thanks Miss Lydia,

We did have record low last night down to 21F and a high of 34F. I suspected cold at first as well, but her legs were warm even early this morning. Yes I do have some of Braggs ACV. Never gave it to the geese though. I'll go out and offer that to him/her. I moved the goose back in the hutch into the straw. She can only belly scoot but managed to come out. Unfortunately, she is not pleased with me handling her. Was in their territory so many times today, the ganders gave up investigating! I'll keep you posted...
How old is this goose?old enough to start laying?

yes, mine just started to lay their first eggs. I picked three a couple days ago, and this morning two more eggs are in the giant nest. Oh, I hope she is not eggbound...

yes, mine just started to lay their first eggs. I picked three a couple days ago, and this morning two more eggs are in the giant nest. Oh, I hope she is not eggbound...
One of the things that popped into my mind, I hope not either, if you decide to bring her inside use towels warmed in the dryer under her they say the moist heat can help them if egg bound, also warm soaks in a tub of water, last year Haunted55 had an egg bound goose and she soaked her numerous times daily and she finally laid the egg. Doesn't always go that good but lets hope if it is with a bit of help it will. It could be niacin but that usually happens when they are goslings. if you have a large dog crate that would work for inside.

o.k. Got one goose in a large plastic storage container inside living room. Warm moist towel and a hot water bottle. Hope for the best. Got to find a suitable water dish....

o.k. Got one goose in a large plastic storage container inside living room. Warm moist towel and a hot water bottle. Hope for the best. Got to find a suitable water dish....
I hope by this morning you see an egg and if not egg bound. Improvement. The water dish maybe a problem it would with mine it would probably be somewhere across the room.
roll.png

No egg yet. Goose is in the bathtub in just a few inches of very warm water. She did answer the others outside. I did not feel an egg close to exiting... she does not stand up but she is alert. Was hoping for a vigorous goose is in water routine, but no such thing. She is likely to poop (thin) more since she warmed up. I'll put her back in the container in a bit and keep a close eye on her. Hope for the best, maybe I can get her to eat something as well....

No egg yet. Goose is in the bathtub in just a few inches of very warm water. She did answer the others outside. I did not feel an egg close to exiting... she does not stand up but she is alert. Was hoping for a vigorous goose is in water routine, but no such thing. She is likely to poop (thin) more since she warmed up. I'll put her back in the container in a bit and keep a close eye on her. Hope for the best, maybe I can get her to eat something as well....
Does she try and stand at all? I'd give her enough water to float I know easier said than done but they may help her relax more. Has she ate or drank anything yet? also do you have any liquid calcium? I keep coral calcium in my frig just in case I need to use it on anyone. Calcium gluconate is another good one, and we don't even know if this is what it is but best to cover all bases

Back
Top Bottom