Sick hen gurgling!?!? Help! (With pictures)

StripeyThing_1

Chirping
Dec 15, 2022
Hello all, please help, advice is always appreciated! I posted this thread on Sunday but got buried quickly as it was the weekend.

My FSL brown hen is acting very sick. She is 2 years old. Rescued as a baby from an industrial farm. Ever since she was a baby she kind of gurgled when she drank water. For the past week or so this has been getting a lot worse. Now when ever she eats, drinks, gets picked up or does a lot of physical activity she opens her mouth wide to breathe and gurgles. She sneezes sometimes though. When she isn’t breathing with her mouth open she has very heavy breathing that I can easily hear.

I know it’s not because of heat, we live in western Canada and the temperature is 7 degrees Celsius (or 44 degrees Fahrenheit). We have a heat lamp in the coop.

Last night after she had some food to eat she was adjusting her crop by moving back and forth and side to side. I checked her mouth for any smell, paste, blockages or saliva, nothing yet. Her crop is emptying at night and her abdomen isn’t swollen. I think she still lays eggs, but I’ll have to check.

I have her a piece of bread soaked in oil to wet her throat. Some chick starter as well as egg white was given for protein. I put her in a separate kennel this morning.
Sorry for the long thread, I wanted to share all the details, :idunno

Emy (Stripeything_1)
12AE037E-D678-42F1-8945-F10E505E2B48.jpeg

905AFF15-20C9-45D2-8975-D19D786892C3.jpeg

It doesn’t smell that bad, just regular chicken breath. Some of her flock mates have some mucus in their mouthes, but not often. Thanks for helping by the way!!! :hugs

Back
Top Bottom