Sick hen, not sure what to do first...

Katiezladiez

Hatching
May 10, 2024
Hi all, I'll try to make this short. Over the last few weeks I have noticed one of my older hens, 4 years ish, start to isolate herself a little. She then presented with vent gleet. She will start to get better and then decline again. She seemed super good a couple of days ago, now she is lethargic, barely eating, I picked her up, and she spit up. She has also lost a good amount of weight. So my thought is, worms? And now Sour crop? I want to deworm her ( haven't seen any, but maybe that's the cause?) and also treat her with miconazole... ( But the vomit doesn't smell? ) I did see totally watery poo that super smelled today. ( We also had 2 days of suddenly heavy heat here .)
Do I worm 1st , wait, and then do the miconazole? Do all the things at the same time? Also see conflicting info on how to use the liquid goat worner...in water? Not in water?? What are the thoughts? ( I did read the article that someone wrote and posted, it's great! Just need a little more help for this girl I think) She is also suddenly way weaker than she was even yesterday morning. I'm concerned about over loading her system with treatment.
Thanks

In view of the sudden onset hot weather, it's possible the hen is suffering from heat sickness. It won't hurt to give her a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in, and add a pinch of salt and baking soda. Urge her to drink by dipping her beak.

I know giving sugar to a hen with a possible sour crop seems counter productive, but this might solve her problem and the crop may also resolve. It's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom