Sick Hen :( PLEASE HELP ME :(

wantbantams

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
I have an 8 month light Brahma hen. I noticed a few days ago that she was acting strange AKA: not sleeping on the roost. I thought it was strange. The next morning I noticed that she had some runny poops and I trimmed her butt feathers. The next day I noticed what looked to be like blood in her stool. So I brought her inside. She ate well and seemed fine in the morning. The next day I noticed that she did not leave the coop and she was always trying to look up. She keeps arching her neck a lot and more poop on her feathers. I brought her inside and started giving her vitamins. Then I read to give her sulmet for potential cocci. I do not know what to do. She is still alive, but is going down hill quickly. She is laying on her side and is arching her neck upward. Oh, her eyes are dilated too.

Are you giving the Sulmet, or Corid? Is she eating and drinking? I don't know that it is cocci; I don't know what it is, but with the blood in her poop, and especially if she's not eating or drinking much, it's worth a try, I would think. Good luck!

I am giving sulmet. I am also giving vitamins. She is eating if I hold the food up to her beak and the drinking is the same. If I dip her beak in water she drinks. She won't open her eyes at all. She also is looking skyward. I am worried about her, but she seems to be doing better today than yesterday. She is such a sweet bird. We love her.

Any other advice or opinions are appreciated very much!

I am giving sulmet. I am also giving vitamins. She is eating if I hold the food up to her beak and the drinking is the same. If I dip her beak in water she drinks. She won't open her eyes at all. She also is looking skyward. I am worried about her, but she seems to be doing better today than yesterday. She is such a sweet bird. We love her.

Any other advice or opinions are appreciated very much!
If treating for cocci,you have to treat all chickens. Also vitamins should be given after treatment is complete,they can interfere with medication.

ok. she is acting almost like she is in a coma. Does anyone else have advice on what to do, or how long it may take?

Back
Top Bottom