Sick hen - watery poo, molting. What to do?

Pip4Chirp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Colorado
My year old hen Chirpie has been sick for several days. I thought maybe it was just her molt making her feel poorly - watery poo and pale comb and wattles. She is eating well and drinking but still has watery poo and isn't quite herself. She's lost all the feathers off her bum and lots of tail feathers and under her wings.

When the watery poo persisted, I thought she must have a virus. I've given her yogurt and made her oatmeal with a little honey. Her comb and wattles are now bright red - as if she's laying! There are no pin feathers on her bum and it's a little red today. It's been a week!!!!! I don't know what to do.

I have two other chickens - both are completely fine. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!!

Can you post pics of her and her bum? (I feel odd saying that heh ; ). It sounds like molt, but its hard to tell without pics.

Can you post pics of her and her bum? (I feel odd saying that heh ; ). It sounds like molt, but its hard to tell without pics.

Here are pics of Chirpy. She is acting much like her normal self today but still has that watery poo - almost completely watery. But eating well and also has the tiniest of pin feathers poking through the skin on her bum now. I'm so hoping it's just the molt but it's very different from how my other hen molted. (I feel bad for asking you to look at pics of her bum - not pretty....)

Thanks for your help.

Well it doesn't look inflamed or anything. I can tell you that sometimes watery poo just comes from drinking too much water. Is she eating solids? You might want to isolate her if she gets worse again so you can make sure she is eating. I'd keep giving her yogurt and oatmeal, and perhaps some scrambled eggs once a day or so until you're sure she is feeling better. It seems to have helped!

She will need more protein during molt. I usually switch to flock raiser or feather fixer blends and provide extra calcium choice.

Last edited:
Well it doesn't look inflamed or anything. I can tell you that sometimes watery poo just comes from drinking too much water. Is she eating solids? You might want to isolate her if she gets worse again so you can make sure she is eating. I'd keep giving her yogurt and oatmeal, and perhaps some scrambled eggs once a day or so until you're sure she is feeling better. It seems to have helped!

She will need more protein during molt. I usually switch to flock raiser or feather fixer blends and provide extra calcium choice.
Thank you!! I will up the protein and keep up the oatmeal/yogurt. The hens have a bowl of calcium and grit, free choice. Do chickens sometimes act ill when they're molting? My other chicken just acts really nervous (she's in her second molt - this is Chirpy's first).

Chirpy is definitely eating solids and is actually eating a lot - more than yesterday. I haven't seen her drinking a lot of water but she must be since she is not dehydrated. Wonder why she is drinking so much? It's super cold here. Maybe because she's molting?

THanks so much for helping. Oh my gosh - I was so worried this morning.

Back
Top Bottom