Sick hen won't leave coop

danlan

Songster
Jan 7, 2021
I have a cochin hen (almost 1 year old) who seems to be sick. She last laid an egg on Monday (previously she was laying 4-5 eggs a week) and since then she's been camped out in a nesting box and won't leave.

I checked her crop and it's empty. She feels bony and lighter when I pick her up.

There's nothing obviously wrong with her, like an injury or a coop full of bloody stools or anything like that.

If I pick her up out of the box, she'll walk around a little bit, get a drink and then retreat back to the box.

What should I do for her?

The rest of the flock all seem healthy. They are all same age (hatched in July last year) and are a mix of different breeds.

She seems to be broody. She isn’t sick but she is trying to hatch out eggs which means she won’t leave the nest. You can put her in a wire sided dog crate with food and water and she should go back to normal.

She seems to be broody. She isn’t sick but she is trying to hatch out eggs which means she won’t leave the nest. You can put her in a wire sided dog crate with food and water and she should go back to normal.
Thanks, I'll try that! I have wooden eggs in all the nesting boxes to encourage them to use different boxes. (They used to fight over just 1 box even though they have 4 to use). So, she's been trying to hatch a fake egg

Back
Top Bottom