Sick hen

bg62

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
I have a hen that is no acting normal, she has been staying to herself and is kind of lethargic. She keeps her left eye closed and keeps opening her mouth like she yawning. Any ideas?

How old is she? Has she been laying eggs recently? Does she have any trouble walking, waddling, or sitting a great deal? Is she heavy, and has it been hot where she stays? Is she eating or having runny droppings?

So I have a hen that started out that way and then went into coughing/sneezing. Keep a close eye on her because my hen escatated fast. I'd separate her and monitor closely. Could be respiratory starting. That's what I am treating mine for.

She is a year old, poop is solid, not eating a lot. no trouble walking, will go out and peck with the other hens when I let them out. main symptoms continue to be lathargic, going off by herself, keeping the one eye closed, sleeping a lot. She also opens her beak like she is trying to yawn. I dont think she is egg bound, although I gave her a soaking, if she was eggbound, I figure she would have died by now, it's been several days. shes not eating a lot, not pecking at the ground much. I have here isolated right now.

She is a year old, poop is solid, not eating a lot. no trouble walking, will go out and peck with the other hens when I let them out. main symptoms continue to be lathargic, going off by herself, keeping the one eye closed, sleeping a lot. She also opens her beak like she is trying to yawn. I dont think she is egg bound, although I gave her a soaking, if she was eggbound, I figure she would have died by now, it's been several days. shes not eating a lot, not pecking at the ground much. I have here isolated right now.
Can you check her crop to see if it is big and puffy or hard, and check it again in the early morning before she eats to make sure it empties overnight? Can you try opening her eye, look inside it carefully for something in it, and flush it with some saline or lubricating eye drops? Has your flock been wormed recently?

I checked her crop and it seems fine. I've never wormed the flock, not even sure how to do that or how often. I looked at her eye for injury or debris and can't see anything. I will get some eye drops a flush her eye.

You can feel inside her vent one inch with a finger to check for a hard object or egg binding. You can worm her with Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer if you want to worm her, or you can get a sample of her fresh droppings checked for worms, coccidiosis, and bacteria by a vet. If she hasn't been laying regularly or has had soft eggs previously, she could have internal laying or another reproductive problem. I would try to get her to eat with some egg, tuna, or moistening some of her feed with water. Vitamins, electrolytes, and a probiotic or some plain yogurt may also help.

Back
Top Bottom