Sick hen

Rubycon

Chirping
Aug 19, 2022
Hello!

I have a sick Sussex hen that seemed to get sick out of nowhere. Yesterday morning she was fine, and by 5pm she was lethargic, puffing up her feathers and her head drooping along with her wings. I took the video below this morning, and her head was shaking a little this morning. I don't know how her poop looks as they are free range. I dipped her beak in water this morning and she did drink, but she didn't make an attempt to eat at all. I decided to give her .1cc orally of Corid last night when I found her the way she was. She made it through the night but is not looking too great. Looking for opinions if giving corrid was correct or if it something else and if I should give her more?

What is your location? Need it to help you.

Corid is merely a thiamine blocker to interrupt the life cycle of coccidia parasites. It may not be what your hen needs.

Is the crook-neck the only symptom? How is her balance? Can she walk? Is there any evidence of leg weakness or paralysis?

Is there any chance she may have come into contact with a pesticide or toxic plant? How about any leaking machinery sitting around where the chickens range?

If the crook neck is her only symptom, it may be wry neck. Try vitamin E 400iu. Give one capsule into her beak now, and another this evening. Continue it daily until she's back to normal. It may work as quickly as an hour or could take a week. The E dose is best given with egg for better absorption. Or give with a sliver of selenium.

What is your location? Need it to help you.

Corid is merely a thiamine blocker to interrupt the life cycle of coccidia parasites. It may not be what your hen needs.

Is the crook-neck the only symptom? How is her balance? Can she walk? Is there any evidence of leg weakness or paralysis?

Is there any chance she may have come into contact with a pesticide or toxic plant? How about any leaking machinery sitting around where the chickens range?

If the crook neck is her only symptom, it may be wry neck. Try vitamin E 400iu. Give one capsule into her beak now, and another this evening. Continue it daily until she's back to normal. It may work as quickly as an hour or could take a week. The E dose is best given with egg for better absorption. Or give with a sliver of selenium.
I am in northern Ohio.

No, not the only symptom. Droopy wings and lethargy. When she does walk, she does walk okay, but is mostly wanting to stand in one spot. She has good balance. No, all machinery is kept in a large barn which they do not have access to,, and no pesticides have been used since probably last spring. Would poultry cell help her at all?

How old is she? What state or country are you in? Her actions appear to be neurological. It could be from a seizure, a virus or disease that affects the brain, or a toxin. Can you try to get her drinking some electrolytes, Gatorade, Pedialyte, or sugar water, holding it under her beak? I would try to get some human vitamin E, and give 400 IU daily, along with 1/2 tablet of crushed B complex.

How old is she? What state or country are you in? Her actions appear to be neurological. It could be from a seizure, a virus or disease that affects the brain, or a toxin. Can you try to get her drinking some electrolytes, Gatorade, Pedialyte, or sugar water, holding it under her beak? I would try to get some human vitamin E, and give 400 IU daily, along with 1/2 tablet of crushed B complex.
She us about 7 months old, and I am in northern Ohio. The shaking head this morning did make me think she was neurological for a second, and that is when I started to second guess myself. Unfortunately, I am now at work for the day, but I will definitely pick up some Gatorade or Pedialyte on my lunch break today and see if it will do anything. Would Poultry cell be of any use to her? I have a bottle of vitamin b complex for my ducks already if I can give her that?

Poultry Cell won't do much. It's electrolytes and vitamin E she needs. (people vitamin E gel capsules - pick some up on your way home. ) B-vitamins would help if she had weak legs, but her legs seem to work fine.

Poultry Cell is very good, and has some E in it. But she may need some extra E. The B complex you have is good to use. I would use the PC until you get some E softgels. B complex is helpful with neuro problems, and is hard to overdose. At her age, Mareks disease might be a concern, but a head injury or avian flu might also be possibilities. I hope not. Some birds will develop seizures. Let us know how she gets along.

Poultry Cell won't do much. It's electrolytes and vitamin E she needs. (people vitamin E gel capsules - pick some up on your way home. ) B-vitamins would help if she had weak legs, but her legs seem to work fine.
okay thanks so much for the info! I knew it had some in it but I wasn't sure how much! I will get some today!

You guys are so awesome. I appreciate you so much! The video below is from this morning after I gave her the second dose of vitamin e. All her symptoms are gone, and she's acting completely normal. I saw huge improvement about 2 hours after giving her the first dose last night!

Back
Top Bottom