Sick Hen

tenniscutie2007

Hatching
Apr 16, 2024
I have a 5 month old hen who started having trouble walking 3 days ago. I have separated her from the rest. She does drink some water and won’t eat unless it’s scrambled eggs or mealworms. I did notice she had mites on her that I’m in the process of getting rid of. She hasn’t started laying eggs and has watery white poop. She’s constantly laying on her side but will get up and walk a short distance before she loses her balance and lays back down. Any idea what could be wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    710.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 4
When she's walking or standing is she sitting back on her hocks?
It's good you are dealing with the mites, they can really weaken them. I would check all the others and make sure to clean out and treat the coop as well. Have you ever wormed her, and do you have a vet that will run a fecal test for you to check for internal parasites?
I would get some Super B complex, or B complex tablets or capsules (human ones, any pharmacy) and give her one a day to see if it helps. The B's are very safe, extra will be excreted, and deficiencies are not uncommon. They can cause coordination and neuromuscular symptoms if they are deficient. Did you purchase her as a chick, do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's disease? She is at an age where that can show up also.

When she's walking or standing is she sitting back on her hocks?
It's good you are dealing with the mites, they can really weaken them. I would check all the others and make sure to clean out and treat the coop as well. Have you ever wormed her, and do you have a vet that will run a fecal test for you to check for internal parasites?
I would get some Super B complex, or B complex tablets or capsules (human ones, any pharmacy) and give her one a day to see if it helps. The B's are very safe, extra will be excreted, and deficiencies are not uncommon. They can cause coordination and neuromuscular symptoms if they are deficient. Did you purchase her as a chick, do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's disease? She is at an age where that can show up also.
When she sits she does sit on her hocks. I got her a few weeks ago so I’m not sure if she was vaccinated. I have been giving her poultry cell for 3 days now because I noticed when I pick her up and help her stand she has her toes curled

Curled toes and hock sitting are often caused by vitamin deficiencies, riboflavin specifically. You often need to give higher doses to reverse it. I would get some super B complex and try that, to get the levels up. It can also be a symptom of Marek's disease, but the vitamins are the first thing to try.

Back
Top Bottom