sick hen

licleveng

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 30, 2010
One of my hens has been acting weird lately and wouldn't come out of the pen, when we let them free range, and when she did come out she would just sit there in the same spot the whole time. When we come outside this morning she looked really swollen and had a lot of waste on her. We took her inside so we could watch her but does anyone know what she has and how we could treat her? Thanks (it also looks like it's hard for her to breath)

I'm sure that you will get lots of good advice here! I am kind of new but my Rose just went through something like this. Yesterday I brought her inside and gave her a warm bath - she loved it! I cleaned her all up - I even used a blow dryer on her. After she was dry and had a nice rest - I put her back out with the other girls. She was still moping this morning but around noon she laid an egg. This may have been her first one! She seems better now (not quite 100%) but she is eating and drinking.

How old is your hen?

Does anyone know any chicken vets around Lexington SC? we aren't going to take her yet (unless she gets worse) but I just wanted to know just in case.

how cold is it there??? im up in canada and it went from about 1 degree celsius (33.8 degrees) to -5 degrees celsius(23 degrees farenheit)
within the past 2 or 3 days and one of my isa browns is standing on the floor of my coop but has her head tucked into her feathers and is just standing there her eyes are open and i saw her in the nest box earlier and now shes over by the feeder she also has some runny goop going down her neck
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
(i can't get pics cause my roo always attacks me wether im in the coop or not

plus when i throw scratch outside she doesn't even go ouut!!!!! and scrtch is their fave treat!!!
fl.gif

please help

adrianna

Is your hen laying yet? You said she looks swollen... swollen how...... in the face or in the bottom? If in the Bottom regin she may have an internal infection like egg perotitis(sp) or an impacted egg . If in the face it could be a respiratory infection. Also, when was she last wormed?

I'm sorry to say that she died
hit.gif
hit.gif
we were taking her inside and the roster attacked me for "stealing" his girlfriend and I dropped her,when I dropped her she wouldent get up so I ran to get my Dad and he did CPR because she did this one other time when she chocked on something and CPR saved her.
hit.gif
does anyone know what could have been wrong with her. My Dad says she had a bad heart.
sad.png
thanks.

I've had a lot of birds like that. Problem is there are so many disease that cause the same symptom: droopiness. Was her comb a different color?

Back
Top Bottom