Sick Roo - Weak, Lethargic, Runny Poo

Chicken Boo

Songster
11 Years
Jul 16, 2008
Glenn Dale, MD
1) What type of bird , age and weight. - Bantam Japanese Kabo; ~1.25 yrs; 5 #?

2) What is the behavior, exactly. - Lethargic, hanging out on roost, not going out when gate opened. Runny poo, leaking yellow, solids are dark brown.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - 2 Days being lethargic. Runny poo today. I have noticed descriptions of purple combs on the forum. He has had an intermittent purple tinge on his comb. It usually is only the tips/edges and goes away the next day or so.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - One EE was roosting with him the last two days. Seemed lethargic but came running out to free range today. Was wondering if they had eaten something that did not agree with them since no one else was acting this way (I have 1 rooster, 23 hens of various breeds).

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. - No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. - No

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. - I just put him in the pet carrier. He ignored the water but ate a few bites of the yogurt with growth feed sprinkled on it. They normally get layer/flock raiser free choice with cabbage, lettuce, other veggies. They free range when I am home (3 - 5 d/week, .5 - 8 h/day) depending on work, etc.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - Leaking yellowish poo when I picked him up. Poo in carrier is solid and brown with runny yellow liquid.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? - Isolation. Fresh water. Yogurt and growth food. Sympathy.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? - I am hoping this is something I can take care of myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. - Nothing that would help. This is a picture of him normally.

Just a few days ago with new feeding device:

13250_f_using_feeder.jpg

13250_new_rooster.jpg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - The chickens live here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=334568. He is currently in a medium size dog carrier with a towel (he is unsteady on his feet and thought that would be more stable) with water and yogurt.

I have given him yogurt sprinkled with growth/flock raiser and a piece of hard boiled egg. I have only seen him take a couple of pecks at the yogurt and nothing else. I suspect that he has not been eating or drinking much for the last 3 days. Any ideas?

Thanks, Zowleyellowflame. He is pretty, isn't he?

I finally tried rice. He finally ate something and perked up. I let him walk himself back to the coop from the back door. He stumbled a bit and did not chase the ladies. I put down yogurt and rice in the coop and he was his usual gentlemanly self and called all the hens over to the food and didn't take any himself. I hope he took some after I left. I will give them some more tomorrow and hope he will take some for himself.

I have a ten week old Welsummer pullet that I brought in this morning with similar symptoms. I am feeding scrambled eggs and water from an oral syringe. She is slowly perking up. I'll try the rice and yogurt too. I think they were low on food during my back to back 15 hour shifts and maybe she got elbowed out.

Back
Top Bottom