**Sick Rooster, please help**

rs00

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2022
My 7 month old Australorp rooster (who free-ranges) was fine this morning but got extremely lethargic as the day went on. Now he just sits or stands with his eyes closed. I carried him and he kept his eyes closed, head drooping.

Not interested in eating, but I did just give him some electrolytes in a syringe.

Feet look normal, comb and waddle maybe less dark red than usual. No respiratory distress. His crop feels empty to me.

He does appear to have diarrhea. I separated him just now from the rest of the flock. It’s yellowish, mucus-like stuff. My 8 year old son says he saw a bloody dropping a week ago, but I can’t verify that.

I’m afraid maybe it’s coccidiosis. Or what else could it be? New to chickens here...thanks for any suggestions! I sent my husband to the store for some corid in case I should go ahead and treat for that 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 28E2F446-A031-46BF-AA89-186B93C2AF5D.jpeg
    28E2F446-A031-46BF-AA89-186B93C2AF5D.jpeg
    388.5 KB · Views: 23
  • FC2871BF-3265-499D-BA1A-A4EE415F6DC1.jpeg
    FC2871BF-3265-499D-BA1A-A4EE415F6DC1.jpeg
    585 KB · Views: 5
Is there a way to take some poop samples to your vet for testing?

If not, then I'd treat for Coccidiosis since you think there was blood, there's definitely mucous in the poop. I'd also deworm.

You can find Corid at TSC in the cattle section. Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any Extra supplements or vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

Deworm with Safeguard Liquid goat dewormer at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight. Look him over for lice/mites.

Tell us what you feed again. Any chance at all that he could have gotten into anything moldy or toxic?

Do you have any other roosters?

Is there a way to take some poop samples to your vet for testing?

If not, then I'd treat for Coccidiosis since you think there was blood, there's definitely mucous in the poop. I'd also deworm.

You can find Corid at TSC in the cattle section. Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't add any Extra supplements or vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine) during the course of treatment.

Deworm with Safeguard Liquid goat dewormer at a rate of 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Check to make sure his crop is emptying overnight. Look him over for lice/mites.

Tell us what you feed again. Any chance at all that he could have gotten into anything moldy or toxic?

Do you have any other roosters?
Thank you for your reply and the directions for dosages!

He’s the only rooster in a flock of 50 hens, ducks and guineas. It’s possible he could’ve gotten into something since he’s free ranging. Come to think of it...I had a bag of kitchen scraps that were set outside in a sealed up plastic bag waiting for someone to take to the compost pile. Kids forgot about it for a good week or two probably, and I had them take it and dump it out a day or so ago finally...in the compost pile where the rooster frequents. 🤔 Mayyybe the rotting stuff got to him?! Do you think I’ve poisoned him? I thought nothing of it til just now...

As far as food, he eats an all-flock raiser crumble currently, high protein for the young guineas...

If possible, it would be a good idea to take a sample of his poop in for testing to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are part of the problem.

He may be getting into things, hard to know, but it looks like if that was the case, then you'd have a hen or two showing similar signs here and there too.

Back
Top Bottom