Sick rooster?

Seven Pines Farm

Hatching
Apr 19, 2023
I think my rooster may be sick. He lost his crow and his comb and wattle look purplish. He isn’t walking around too much today either. He is a silver laced Orpington, almost a year old.
I don’t know how to post pics.
What can I do please?

Hello! Post pics by pressing the “attach files” button with the little paper clip symbol in the bottom left corner of the message box. It will give you the option of taking a photo or choosing from your library. Press the photos you want to post, and then press “add” at the top right corner. It will take a second to load, but when it does press “insert” and then either “thumbnail” or “full image”.

I’m not exactly sure what it might be based on your description, but my first thought was it could possibly be a parasite?

Hello! Post pics by pressing the “attach files” button with the little paper clip symbol in the bottom left corner of the message box. It will give you the option of taking a photo or choosing from your library. Press the photos you want to post, and then press “add” at the top right corner. It will take a second to load, but when it does press “insert” and then either “thumbnail” or “full image”.

I’m not exactly sure what it might be based on your description, but my first thought was it could possibly be a parasite?
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_5337.jpeg
    IMG_5337.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5335.jpeg
    IMG_5335.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
No problem! He’s a very pretty boy, btw!

Okay, it sounds like the reason this could be happening is because he might have something caught in his throat, preventing him from crowing or getting enough oxygen, which would make his comb look more purple. With that in mind, it also makes sense that he would be less active. You may be able to fix this by feeding him some olive oil. If there’s something caught in his throat then it should help it slide easier so it will pass through into his stomach. Is he sneezing, coughing, or gasping at all? Shaking his head often, or closing his eyes?

Can you describe his symptoms? Diet?
He has been mostly just sitting around today but when I approach he will get up and move. He makes the motion of trying to crow or cough or something but nothing comes out. He is free range quite often. He eats chicken feed from the feed store and whatever fruit and vegetables I put out, although I can’t say if he eats them or not.

No problem! He’s a very pretty boy, btw!

Okay, it sounds like the reason this could be happening is because he might have something caught in his throat, preventing him from crowing or getting enough oxygen, which would make his comb look more purple. With that in mind, it also makes sense that he would be less active. You may be able to fix this by feeding him some olive oil. If there’s something caught in his throat then it should help it slide easier so it will pass through into his stomach. Is he sneezing, coughing, or gasping at all? Shaking his head often, or closing his eyes?
Thank you. He makes the motion like he’s going to crow or cough but makes no sound. I do not see him shaking his head, not sure about closing his eyes.
How would I go about giving him olive oil?

He has been mostly just sitting around today but when I approach he will get up and move. He makes the motion of trying to crow or cough or something but nothing comes out. He is free range quite often. He eats chicken feed from the feed store and whatever fruit and vegetables I put out, although I can’t say if he eats them or not.
What type of feed? Have you felt his crop? It could feel like a back of rice, not doughy or waterballoony.

Back
Top Bottom