Sick Rooster

Lily21

Chirping
Apr 18, 2013
I have a sick EE rooster that is almost 6 months old. The only recent changes are that I switched the feed to Layer feed. It has been really cold here below zero every night. My coop is well insulated but am having issues with alot of moisture. He has some black spotting on his comb and he just just stands with a drooping head. He has had normal poop other than it being green and white, it is usually black and white. I looked for mites but didn't see anything. I read on another thread that you could give a sick rooster some Sulfadimethoxine so I bought some but not sure what to give him as a single dose. Do I just use a dropper and pry open his beak to give? I did give him a couple of drinks of honey water and he drank that, but is not interested in food. His eyes are clear and he doesn't sound like he is having any issues with breathing. Any help would be appreicated. Also does anyone know at what age you should start de-worming?

Last edited:
I did some research on wry neck and could possibly be that. Hope not though after reading about it. He will not eat anything and will only take small sips of water. If he doesn't start eating something he will starve to death.

My Silkie has Wry Neck right now and she started out a having a hook in her neck, like your rooster. Then she had a symptom in which her head moved around almost snake-like, turning upside down a lot, and she backed into things constantly. I started giving her Vitamin E Oil everyday with tetracycline in her water, and surprisingly enough, after a few days she started to actually peck the oil off of the syringe by herself. She has also started eating and drinking again, and I'm quite happy with her progress. So if your rooster has Wry Neck, I would suggest giving him 2 ml of Vitamin E Oil a day (basically the amount of oil in a Vitamin E capsule) and some tetracycline in his water.

Last edited:
Has he suffered any head injury lately? Mareks disease, Newcastles (very rare), and vitamin deficiency can cause wry neck. Vitamin B1, E, and selenium areuseful in treating it. You could also try tube feeding him until he starts eating.

He has not had a head injury that I know of, he was fine on Monday and then on Tuesday his head was drooping. I will get him some vitamin E and selenium and I also read poly v sol infant vitamins do the trick. I will have to figure out tube feeding because he will not eat and barely sips some water. Thank you for the info.

Back
Top Bottom