sick runner duckling

I4Him

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Rothbury
I have 3 5-week old white runner ducklings and one is now showing signs of being very ill. Saturday morning everyone seemed fine and all were eating and drinking well. My daughter let everyone out Sunday morning so it wasn't until Sunday afternoon that I went out and found one duckling walking very hunched up -- like she had a bad stomach ache -- and her eyes almost seemed to be half the size as normal. She seemed weak and thin. Now I admit freely to not spending much time with the ducklings the last 3 days due to lots of family obligations, but I was surprised at how quickly she has gone down hill.

The ducklings are on Purina duck starter and mild vitamin water. They are now outside in a nice grassy run with a pond that I change daily. She has been showing almost no interest in food. Even greens sprinkled on the pond while they are in it don't stimulate her much. She will nibble on one or two then tuck her head to her chest and close her eyes.

I have been moistening food and placing it in her bill which she will then eat. Anyone have any suggestions?

She could have been injured, or eaten something toxic. You could try giving her water with activated charcoal in it (not briquettes for cooking! there is a food quality activated charcoal you can buy as a supplement), about 3 teaspoons per half gallon. That is supposed to absorb toxins.

Bring her in where she can swim by herself in lukewarm water and watch her closely, look for signs of injury.

Please tell us more about what they eat, and the environment.

They are in a grassy run about 5 X 20. They have their own pond (inset kiddy pool) and good shade. There are weeds pushing through the fence at the back. All the ducklings are nibbling on them.

Is it possible that it is Coccidiosis? I've never had a problem with this on my property before. I have not been able to observe any of her stools to see if they are bloody. I do have activated charcoal capsules. I use them myself. I'll get some in her.

I will bring her in, though. If it is coccidiosis, my feed store has Corid 9.6% amprolium solution. Do you know the dosing rate?

Thanks for the help!
Cindy

Back
Top Bottom