Sick Sapphire Gem

pvchicken1

Songster
Mar 18, 2021
My hen is 2 and a half years and usually lays an egg almost every day. As of today she hasn’t laid a good egg in over a month. I noticed something wasn’t right when she was lethargic and had the diarrhea. I watched and a few hours later an egg yolk and egg whites came out. (See the pictures) The same thing happened a few months earlier and within a couple of days she was back to normal, but this isn’t the case now. I gave the chickens apple cider vinegar and garlic to see if it does the job. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help her.
IMG_2231.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2245.jpeg
    IMG_2245.jpeg
    501.5 KB · Views: 6
She is having some reproductive problem such as salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct) or a problem with her shell gland in the oviduct. ACV and garlic probably won’t do anything for this. Do you give layer feed or put out crushed oyster shell for extra calcium for your hens? For the next week, I would,give her 600 mg of calcium citrate with vitamin D 3 to see if her egg shells harden and she seems better. Keep her vent area cleaned to prevent flies and fly strike. Is she passing normal droppings? Is her crop emptying overnight?

She is having some reproductive problem such as salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct) or a problem with her shell gland in the oviduct. ACV and garlic probably won’t do anything for this. Do you give layer feed or put out crushed oyster shell for extra calcium for your hens? For the next week, I would,give her 600 mg of calcium citrate with vitamin D 3 to see if her egg shells harden and she seems better. Keep her vent area cleaned to prevent flies and fly strike. Is she passing normal droppings? Is her crop emptying overnight?
Ok. Is there any certain kind of product I should buy? She passes her poop fine but it is not normal since it’s diarrhea. I give her a laying feed with some oyster shells but I’ll definitely add more.

Yes, but it is less that the right dosage for a 5 pound bird. WalMart and Walgreens sell a generic closer to 600 mg. But any calcium will do right now, even Tums, until you can get the right kind. Calcium carbonate is also okay, but calcium citrate is faster absorbed. Just pop the tablet into her beak to swallow.

I found the product with the right dosage and have been giving it to her every day this week and she started to lay eggs again. She laid her largest egg ever weighing in at 3.01 oz and won’t fit in any of my egg cartons!!!
IMG_4581.jpeg

Also, should I continue with the treatment each day?

Back
Top Bottom