Sick silkie hen! Please help!

ClearCreekGirl

Songster
7 Years
My 7 month old buff silkie, Chiffon, is sick this morning. She seemed fine last night. She has yellow mucus in her nostrils and her eyes seem stuck shut with dried mucus. I washed them gently with a warm cloth, but she still can't/won't open them. I can't get her to eat or drink, but she is walking around, although she is bumping into stuff because she can't see. I've put her in a cage away from the other chickens. She is breathing okay but sounds congested or bubbly. She acts like she feels very bad. I think I should give her antibiotics, but I don't want to give her the wrong thing. There are no vets here that will see chickens, so I'm on my own. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!

My 7 month old buff silkie, Chiffon, is sick this morning. She seemed fine last night. She has yellow mucus in her nostrils and her eyes seem stuck shut with dried mucus. I washed them gently with a warm cloth, but she still can't/won't open them. I can't get her to eat or drink, but she is walking around, although she is bumping into stuff because she can't see. I've put her in a cage away from the other chickens. She is breathing okay but sounds congested or bubbly. She acts like she feels very bad. I think I should give her antibiotics, but I don't want to give her the wrong thing. There are no vets here that will see chickens, so I'm on my own. Any suggestions? Thanks so much!
Sorry to hear she is not well.
Can you take some photos?
How long have you had her?
Have you added any new chickens in the last 30 days?
Describe your housing (coop) and bedding (photos may be helpful).

She may have a respiratory disease, it's hard to know. Mycoplasma, Infectious Bronchitis, Infectious Coryza and ILT are fairly common causes of mucous and eye swelling. Does she have a bad odor about her too?
Something in the environment can sometimes also cause respiratory symptoms - mold, ammonia from excess droppings and poorly ventilated housing are a few causes.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
If you are dealing with a bacteria like respiratory illness like Mycoplasma, then an antibiotic like Tylosin can help treat the symptoms. There is no cure for respiratory diseases and birds can be carriers for life. You can order it online here https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

General care for mucous would be to remove it several times a day the best you can.
If the eyes are stuck shut, then apply a warm compress to help loosen them up then flush with saline. Remove any pus that may be in the eyes, then apply an ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin or Vetericyn eye gel.

If she is having trouble seeing, then encourage her to stay hydrated by holding a water cup up to her beak so she can drink. Then offer her some wet feed.

Look forward to the photos and more information.

Thanks Wyorp Rock and Aunt Angus! She seems to be fine now! I don't know why, because I didn't do anything but separate her from the others and wipe her eyes. I thought she might die she looked so bad and then in a couple hours, she's fine. I don't understand at all! :idunno
But I'm so happy she's better! She is such a sweet girl! And thank you for the advice! I've saved it so if/when another chicken gets sick, I'll know what to do! I really appreciate it!:frow

Thanks Wyorp Rock and Aunt Angus! She seems to be fine now! I don't know why, because I didn't do anything but separate her from the others and wipe her eyes. I thought she might die she looked so bad and then in a couple hours, she's fine. I don't understand at all! :idunno
But I'm so happy she's better! She is such a sweet girl! And thank you for the advice! I've saved it so if/when another chicken gets sick, I'll know what to do! I really appreciate it!:frow
Well, I'm glad she is o.k. now!
You may want to watch her close for a few days to see if the symptoms re-appear.

Back
Top Bottom