Sick Silkie

Another thing to consider about silkies, is that they are generally more susceptible to head injury. Their vision is often obstructed by feathers and vaulted skulls are a common trait in silkies, which leaves them a bit vulnerable. Sometimes a peck on the head is all it takes. If there's no major trauma they usually bounce back pretty fast.

Another thing to consider about silkies, is that they are generally more susceptible to head injury. Their vision is often obstructed by feathers and vaulted skulls are a common trait in silkies, which leaves them a bit vulnerable. Sometimes a peck on the head is all it takes. If there's no major trauma they usually bounce back pretty fast.
I'm guessing it was severe dehydration. Out of my entire flock, I only have one hen that won't let up on the bullying (my silver-laced wyandotte). Just speculating, I'd guess that she was keeping my silkie away from the water sources. Thankfully, she is completely back to normal now. I let her rejoin the flock outside this afternoon, and she was walking around, eating, and drinking normally (and even playing with her sister silkie). I'm just glad everything worked out!

That's great news! I've heard several stories about naughty wyandottes lately. I don't have any, so maybe I'll keep it that way. Lol.

Debbi-- Thank you for the advice! She didn't have any rotting or moldy food. I tried to feel her crop but I can't really tell if it's impacted or not. I'm going to try the olive oil starting this morning, just in case. She won't eat or drink at all, so we're making her drink by forcing her mouth open and using a dropper to put water there. Just scrambled up an egg, waiting on it to cool down as I type this and going to try to feed her. As for your second post, she is 16 weeks old, so still too young for an impacted egg?
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Yes, 16 weeks is too young for egg-laying. They usually start after 6 months or so.

Back
Top Bottom