Sick silkie

Vikkslittlechicks

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2018
Basically I think it’s wryneck and followed all the advice given and although much better, she’s still not 100%. She’s eating well and laying but her neck is still twisted slightly, some times worse than others. If she’s looking around she can hold her head up but other times she’s sat in the corner of the garden unable to get into the coop when raining or getting dark. I’ve had her in my home four weeks, she’s been powdered for mites once a week, wormed, fed lots of green veg for vitamin e and also vitamin e oil in her scrambled eggs. I’ve fed her tuna occasionally for natural selenium but also added it to her feed every other day. Shes had black sunflower seeds and basically pampered the last four weeks. Put her outside and I can see she’s getting worse again. She’s such a friendly happy thing still making happy giggles when fed etc so is there anything I’m missing. I really don’t want to have her put down x

Do you have an avian vet? In some cases this is caused by swelling of the brain. In these instances vets have prescribed prednisone ,to be given exactly as directed by them.
I hope you will find this beneficial.
Wry neck, as far as it goes is not a cause for euthanasia. I don't think it has killed any chickens. Some folks put the bird down because they don't want to deal with it.

See I think that’s possibly part of the issue with her, she was only fed corn when we collected her from her previous owner and as much as I try to mix corn with layers feed, she’ll do her best to avoid it. I’ve had her separated and tried the tough love and she basically starved herself and I didn’t think she’d make it through the night. Lucky she’s ok now but still very fussy so I’ve been getting by mixing corn, layers feed and black sunflower seeds but I’m sure she’s picking around it

I’ll ask the vet my other animals go to if he’ll see her, but other than that I’ll need to travel s good 60 miles to the next one. I live at the foot of Ben Nevis in fort william so in the middle of nowhere

G’Day from down under Vikkslittlechicks :frow Welcome!

I very much hope that your little gal continues to improve :fl

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Back
Top Bottom