Sick silkie?

Flashy2003

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
Connecticut
I think my silkie is sick. His feathers are all over the yard and he wont move out of the nesting box. There are no eggs in their. Or has there ever been. The silkies don't even go in the boxes. When i cleaned the Coop the other day I put him out side. Hes walked around for a little while and went back in the box. Hes been there for three days. Whats up?

Also one of my silkie hens does some crazy stuff some times. She will be walking across the yard an out of no where run and jump while walking. Like some thing is chasing her. She will do this for about two minutes or so. But other than the rest are fine.

Last edited:
Sounds like your silkie is either molting (and trying to stay warm in the nest) or is a she rather than a he and is broody (no eggs are needed to become broody - it's kind of a hormonal thing). As for the jumping and acting crazy - I think that's just how some silkies are. They can be odd little birds
hu.gif

Thanks for the reply. I am new to the chicken scene. Other than the feathers and not moving out of the box. He looks healthy. Hopefully that's what it is. I feel a little better.

Back
Top Bottom