Sick silkie

Firstsilkie

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
We have a 6 week old silkie that is very quiet hunched a bit, cleaned her bottom what do I do please help

welcome-byc.gif

there are a few things you can do.

vitamins and electrolytes in the water- as package recommends
raw apple cider vinegar in the water for 3 days 1 tablespoon per quart. (no more than 1 quart a day)
sugar in the water for 3 days, 1 tablespoon per quart.
sav a chick will probably work well for this too.

research coccidiosis, if you think its your problem treat with CoRid. dosage will depend on what type you get.

it could also be related to your feed. if your feeding a medicated starter try switching to unmedicated.

Could it be cold? Do u have a heat source? Also, I raise my young ones on wire, so they don't eat yuckie stuff. Have u tried to worm it?

She is in the house under a normal bulb for heat as her feet felt cold:) no she hasn't been dewormed what do I purchase?

We'd love to help, but need a bit more info here. Has she been outside at all? On the ground? Is she eating, drinking? What does her poop look like? How is she acting now that she's warmer?

Coccidiosis would be the first thing I would suspect at that age with those symptoms. Blood is in the droppings sometimes, but not with some strains of it. Amprollium, or Corid would be the best choice of drugs--2 tsp of liquid Corid or 1 tsp of powder to 1 gallon of water, treat for 5 days, and give nothing else in the water. Offer buttermilk mixed with chick feed to slow the process until getting meds. She must drink the water for treatment so you may need to mix some in food or syringe feed to get her to drink.

Back
Top Bottom