CayugaMama

Songster
May 22, 2020
Austin, TX
My 6 week old Welsummer Cockerel has been acting strange the past couple of days and I am wondering if anyone sees any red flags. The night temps have dropped here in Texas the past few nights, but only to the upper 50s.

- He is usually very active when I let the birds out in the mornings, but he has been hanging out on top of the coop and keeping to himself.
- His tail has been hanging horizontal or even downward the past couple of days.
- Instead of making his more mature cockerel squawks, he has been cheeping like a young chick.
- He seems more lethargic and has been sleeping a lot.
- His comb seems more pale than usual.
- He usually doesn’t let me hold him for more than a minute or 2, but this morning he sat in my lap 20 minutes after I finished checking him out.

* No outward appearance of injury or illness.

My 6 week old Welsummer Cockerel has been acting strange the past couple of days and I am wondering if anyone sees any red flags. The night temps have dropped here in Texas the past few nights, but only to the upper 50s.

- He is usually very active when I let the birds out in the mornings, but he has been hanging out on top of the coop and keeping to himself.
- His tail has been hanging horizontal or even downward the past couple of days.
- Instead of making his more mature cockerel squawks, he has been cheeping like a young chick.
- He seems more lethargic and has been sleeping a lot.
- His comb seems more pale than usual.
- He usually doesn’t let me hold him for more than a minute or 2, but this morning he sat in my lap 20 minutes after I finished checking him out.

* No outward appearance of injury or illness.
Any signs of mites or lice? Is he molting?

Be careful with DE. I don’t recommend it because it is irritating to breathing and eyes. Lice and mites are only a problem if they are brought in by mice, wild birds, a new flock member, and sometimes in straw.

Coccidiosis may be a possible problem. How do his poops look? Is he eating and drinking? Six weeks is the youngest time I put them outside without a heat lamp. Does he have all his feathers?

If coccidosis seems to be possible, I would treat the whole gang with Corid in their water. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 dayz.

Be careful with DE. I don’t recommend it because it is irritating to breathing and eyes. Lice and mites are only a problem if they are brought in by mice, wild birds, a new flock member, and sometimes in straw.

Coccidiosis may be a possible problem. How do his poops look? Is he eating and drinking? Six weeks is the youngest time I put them outside without a heat lamp. Does he have all his feathers?

If coccidosis seems to be possible, I would treat the whole gang with Corid in their water. Dosage is 2 tsp (10 ml) of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 dayz.

Thank you! I actually just read the same thing about DE for the first time this morning. I will prob pull the reigns back on that. They do free range, so wild birds probably could bring in lice or mites, but perhaps I will just do frequent inspections instead.
I was wondering if I should go ahead and start treating everyone for Cocci. I do have Corid and will start that immediately. I saw some possible diarrhea yesterday, but just thought it might be cecal. I am not sure if he has been eating/drinking, but I will observe him this afternoon and see. I just put him out in the coop with his brother a few days ago. They had just turned 6 weeks and were very well feathered out.

Corid is very safe and would not hurt them to start. The age cocidiosis is most common is from 3-6 weeks, but it can happen at any age. Make sure that he drinks enough, and you can also in addition give a drench of the undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day.

Corid is very safe and would not hurt them to start. The age cocidiosis is most common is from 3-6 weeks, but it can happen at any age. Make sure that he drinks enough, and you can also in addition give a drench of the undiluted Corid 0.1 ml per pound once or twice a day.
Thank you so much! I will go ahead and treat the flock and make sure that he receives it too! I am wondering if I should separate him until I see some improvements or have a better idea of the ailment. I know most people I have seen say that if he does have Cocci, the whole flock is is probably already infected....

In addition... I have 2 ducks that free range with my chickens. The chickens will often drink from the ducks' kiddie pool. Should I find a way to separate the ducks & pool from the chickens, or would it be ok to treat the pool water with Corid as well?

Back
Top Bottom